Concrete foundation without a cement truck

/ Concrete foundation without a cement truck #1  

Little_Grizzly

Silver Member
Tractor
Yuchai Dozer
We are planning a new cabin in the mountains. The existing cabin has been there almost 90 years now. The issue with building a new cabin is the footings. Is it possible with enough people to pour a concrete foundation with nothing more than a mixer and piles of ready mix? There is no way on earth a cement truck could make it to the site. There is about 9 miles of serious off-road to get there. Might be able to drag one in with a dozer but it would be dicey.

Is there any solution for the situation where cement trucks just can't make it?

And before I get a slew of "...no inspector would ever let you...." or "..building codes require..." This is unincorporated land and no building permit is required. Doesn't mean I don't have signed drawings or don't care about code. I'm just saying that limitations on pouring by hand that are based on legal issues are not relevant here.

Griz

/ Concrete foundation without a cement truck #2  
Is it possible with enough people to pour a concrete foundation with nothing more than a mixer and piles of ready mix?

Look what they did in Egypt a few millennia ago,,, with enough people.

How deep is the frost line?
Have you considered simply drilling, and installing pilings for the foundation?

If I were to do a remote cabin, it would not have a poured concrete foundation,,

/ Concrete foundation without a cement truck #3  
If you made your forms small enough I suppose you could mix and pour with a hand fed mixer. Ideally if you had two or three it would go pretty quick. My question is like the previous poster, why?

/ Concrete foundation without a cement truck #4  
We had a bridge to do where we moved in 100 bags of premix to and poured two bridge abutments. We could not get a cement truck to this job. Each of the abutments took 2 pours and we moved the premix in via UTV trailer. The footings were 2ft wide and 12ft long. Each pour took about 4 hours to mix. Does that help?

Attachments

• final footer pour.hh.JPG
    final footer pour.hh.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 1,631
  • final footer pour.ee.JPG
    final footer pour.ee.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 1,224
  • Pour crew.jpg
    Pour crew.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 1,156
  • Pour done.b.jpg
    Pour done.b.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 1,166
  • Pour done.a.jpg
    Pour done.a.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 963
  • final pour.tt.jpg
    final pour.tt.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 1,017
  • UTV trailer(DL).jpg
    UTV trailer(DL).jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 1,002
   / Concrete foundation without a cement truck #5  
I see no reason why you couldn't, if you had enough (6) men. You could do it in shifts and make it easy an all. Bob

/ Concrete foundation without a cement truck
Thanks for the fast replies! Let's see if I can answer questions.

How deep is the frost line? Ans: This is California so frost line isn't really a concern around here. Probably an inch at the worst ha ha. The soil condition in general is sandy/rock. You could not ask for a more stable soil. The existing cabin is sitting on a 4" x 4" "foundation" (using the term very loosely) and has stood for 90 years with only one crack. I will be building a larger structure however.

Have you considered drilling/pilings? Ans: Not seriously but maybe that isn't all that bad of an idea. I'll have to do the calcs to see how many I would need and the spacing. Digging in that rock isn't something I would look forward to but at least it can be done with a small crew.

RedNeckRacin: I was thinking exactly on those lines. Maybe three or four mixers and I think I can get about a dozen workers. This will be a 25' x 50' structure. The current plan was 8" x 16" footing. That's around 5 yards ish. I've seen those 1.75 yard towable mixers. Maybe two of those gets the job done if we can feed it fast enough.

Feel free to tell me I'm crazy. It's happened before. :laughing:

/ Concrete foundation without a cement truck
ArlyA yes that helps! What I didn't plan on was having a couple of dogs to round out the crew! great choice!

/ Concrete foundation without a cement truck #8  
For a perimeter footing of only 5cy, it is very doable if you can haul the equipment
and materials into the site. If you can get a tractor in there, consider a tractor-mounted
PTO mixer. I have done numerous pours of a yard or 2 without any help at all.

My Mixer80 is rated at a bit under 1/3 cy per load. Those small electric mixers are
usually rated at 1-2 cubic FEET per load.

There are also the 1 cy trailer-mounted mixers out there. Loading them is what
you need to plan for.

/ Concrete foundation without a cement truck #9  
Instead of pouring all the walls, you could pour a footing, then stack blocks. Either dry stack and use the one of the outside bonding agents like quikcrete "quikwall", or just use a regular mortar. Then backfill the cores if you want the extra strength...either just at corners and occasional piers along the walls (especially where joists will sit), or in every one. Depending on height, you will probably want to drop a chunk of rebar in some of those.

The biggest advantage I can see of doing this over a formed pour is that for a formed pour, you need to make up bigger batches (or set rebar, or have "keys" in your forms between sections for tying wall sections together). The smaller the batches you need to make and the less concrete you need to get in place all at once, the easier it will be, particularly for one or two people.

If you have a lot of loose stone, you can also "cheat" regular form pours some by dropping in stones until the concrete level is up to where you want it (I would probably stick to short sections of wall if I did this, like 4 or 6 feet). Had an uncle who did this while also digging out the basement by hand with a wheelbarrow...in his 80s. Dig out out, shore, form, pour, add stone, go back to digging. I think he was finding the stones as he was digging.

Sometimes you can also do a "climbing" or "rising" form, where you have the form set 1 or 2' high, pour, let set, strip, and reset another 1 or 2 feet until you get up to the wall height you need. It's still doing a wall in sections, but vertical rather than horizontal.

People did all of these by hand before there were concrete trucks, particularly during the post-ww2 building boom.

If you have access to gravel and sand on site, you don't even need to bring in full blend concrete mix, you can haul in a smaller amount of portland cement and mix up your own. You can count shovels full (1 of portland, 2 of sand, 3 of stone for a basic mix) or you can make a box form about a cubic foot square (one 94# bag of portland is one cubic foot, so easy multiples like a full or half bag make counting easier). You can make a mixing surface to use with hoes and square shovels out of a couple sheets of plywood (or mix in a mortar tub or a wheelbarrow) if you can't get a mixer and generator or gas mixer there.

Making a whole foundation from bags is a lot of work, but very doable if you break it up either by breaking the project into segments or by adding more bodies so the individual workload is still reasonable.

/ Concrete foundation without a cement truck #10  
Oh, and more on the suggestion of "piling" foundations: A hole dug with a post hole digger, with a chunk of sonotube sticking up for the part above ground. (If frost will be a big issue, a smooth sided piling from a sonotube all the way down would be better, so the frost doesn't "catch" on it and lift...no frost, dirt sides is fine).