What to do with my septic field?

/ What to do with my septic field? #1  

snmhanson

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
We are getting ready to get our lawn and sprinkler system in and I am in a quandry on what to put over our septic drain field which is pretty much in the middle of our back yard. Our contractor told us we shouldn't drive over it with the tractor or even a rider mower - ever. If we want grass over it we will need to use a push mower. He also said we souldn't add any fill dirt over it or remove any dirt. I am thinking instead of grass I will put weed barrier over the whole thing and put bark down. Then plant something around it and make it into an oasis of sorts. I'd love to do a bamboo garden but I know it can go pretty crazy and I'm not sure if it would be a smart thing to put near a septic drain field. I was thinking maybe some grapes but I'm not sure we'd want to eat grapes being grown over our drain field. I'm not even sure what we could plant over the drain field that would not interfere with the lines or soil too much. Maybe I should just stick with grass. I'm sure I woundn't screw things up too much if I just added enough soil to level it out a bit for a lawn. As you can see I'm kind of fishing for some good ideas and information here. HELP!!!

Matt

/ What to do with my septic field? #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Our contractor told us we shouldn't drive over it with the tractor or even a rider mower - ever. If we want grass over it we will need to use a push mower. )</font>

I've lived at three homes that all had septic systems and never had a problem riding over the areas you mentioned. I've even driven my full size pickup over the areas (don't do it often), and all without a problem. My Kubota is a 17 hp(?) B1550. I really wouldn't worry about using a mower over the area. I would not however plant any type of tree, shrub, etc. where the roots could reach down into the leach field searching for moisture.

/ What to do with my septic field? #3  
Put some loam over it and grass it. If you are mowing with a small tractor such as the BX or one of the other smaller tractors, I doubt that it will even notice that you are riding over it. They are not as sensitive as the contractor is making you believe. Lots of people have grass over the leach fields and mow it with small tractors without any harm.

/ What to do with my septic field? #4  
Matt, I certainly would not want to recommend anything that might damage your septic system, and I'm not familiar with the type of soil you have, nor how the installer installed your septic system, but that's sure a new one to me. In my part of the country, I don't know anyone who doesn't mow right across their septic system regularly with either a riding mower or a tractor.

/ What to do with my septic field? #5  
Boy that sure seems strange to me. Our installer actually recommended that we seed our leech bed heavy and get a good grass growing there to help suck up the water. I mow with my TC24 and haven't had a problem. I've also driven over with my full size pick-up though I do try to avoid that. I would mow it with the tractor. Now as far as the tank itself goes I won't drive over that with my NH. I'll either push mow it or use the weedeater.

/ What to do with my septic field?
Thanks for the replys. I think I will just fill over it a little and plant grass. Sounds like I should be ok mowing over it as long as I'm careful. I've got a Kubota B7800 which weighs in at about 2700 lbs with a 60"mmm and filled rear turfs so it is a bit heavier than the standard rider mower or BX tractor. If I mow the leach field with it I will still make sure to straddle the leach lines as much as possible. I think my contractor was more concerned with me compacting the drain field too much and comprimising the soil's drainage rather than damaging the actual lines. Funny thing is that he installed my in-laws septic system five years ago and they drive over it all the time with their rider mower and occasionally even his Dodge Ram. If I mess the field up I guess I will just have to put in a new one FARTHER AWAY from the house. Thanks.

Matt

/ What to do with my septic field? #7  
Sounds to me that the leach system is inches at best below grade. THEN I can see the contractor being a little concerned. I drive a heavy Dodge diesel pick up and a Mahindra 41 HP with hoe that weighs over 6000 a dn never had a problem. Maybe your leach filed is a couple inches down and this may be the reason for the contractors statement.

/ What to do with my septic field? #8  
Straddling the lines may be worse than actually driving right over them. Constant tracking in the same area will compact the ground. I was surprised to see the lawn mowing 'route' through several inches of snow! The ground (hard clay) was actually showing the tire tracks. I started a random pattern after that. I lived there for over 25 years and never had a problem driving the tractor over the drain field or the tank area. Even took a full sized van over the field. Never over the tank, though. The other thing that I kept away from was letting and snowmachines over the drain field in the winter. Compacting the snow would freeze the ground to a point that could affect the fields workings. Didn't want to cjance that. I'm sure that field of yours is more than a shovel spade deep. As mentioned, growing grass over it is good. Any thing that has a larger root system is bad.

/ What to do with my septic field? #9  
Yikes... unless you live in some real exceptional area.. like a beach.. I've never heard of that.

The general warning about tank lids.. etc.. but not the drastic..' no mowers.. etc' If my contractor had told me that I would have fired him and hired another one.. Being a CE I don't put up with unsubstantiated BS from contractors...If they had proof another story.. etc.

I drive my 3500-3800# Nh 1920 all over my septic field.. I've got horses up their too.. mower.. etc.. been fine for over 4 years now.

Good luck

Soundguy

/ What to do with my septic field? #10  
1. Some new regulations require the drain lines to be 12" or less from the surface. If that is _your_ case, then you are sort of breaking the law to fill over it with anything more, and you should be real sensitive about driving on it at all. A simple riding mower is generally ok tho? However, the first year, until you get a winter cycle to settle the ground properly, I would be _Very_ careful and just use a light push mower.

2. You do not want any of the shrub things you mentioned on top of your leach field! You do not want anything with deep roots. You also do not want fabric & multch, as that holds water. You want grass. Grass draws (uses) moisture, roots stay shallow, but keep the soil loose. Grass, grass, grass. It is far & away the best cover for a septic.

Now, all sorts of other possiblities exsist, but that is how I would view it, based on what little I know about your particular build - which is very little. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--->Paul