Overgrowth, honeysuckle, and vines... Oh my!

/ Overgrowth, honeysuckle, and vines... Oh my! #1  

CattleDog

Tractor
Kubota B2601 TLB, Ford 16D GT
Hello all,

Long time lurker here who needs a little help. I recently purchased two major things.

One, a B2601 TLB with a MMM. Great tractor that has been serving me well so far.

Two, a ranch style home on 2.25 acres. That home just needs updated and is in great shape! The yard has started to be really reclaimed by nature.

I have 4 major issues I'd like to address with the property in the most cost effective way I can.

One, I have about 1/4 to 1/3 acre that is a grove of dead or dying ash trees. Many I could push over with my loader. The grass is about waist high there and there are several logs within the grass where someone attempted a cleanup before.

Two, in the front yard near the road, there is a very old and well established wisteria vine(s) that have over taken at least 3 trees. I say at least, because you can't really see through the stuff, its thick.

Three, honey suckle everywhere. Although, I have found that while it dulls a chain saw surprising quick, they have weak root systems and I can normally pop them out with the loader just by hitting them low.

Four, a large brush piles where the previous owners had gathered sticks and ...well, they just gathered them. Perhaps to make a snake layer, not sure. :laughing:

Oh, and there is a 5th item, but it's not as impressing as the first four. I have several trees that have multiple trunks from the ground up that I'd like to take out before they split and fall. None of them are in danger of hitting anything, so I am not worried about them immediately.

My goal is to have a nice lawn, front to back.

I called one tree service company and he wanted $8,500 for it all. I said great, when can you start! A few weeks later he called with his tail between his legs and stated he grossly under bid the job. He won't even re-estimate it. Called another company and they wanted $19,000!!!! :shocked: I called a 3rd company that has been known to clear 7 acres of land in 2 days. They won't even call me back (I guess the job is too small).

So I guess my question is, how much of this can my B2601 handle with the right equipment or other ideas to clean it up. I really would love to rent a forestry mower and just chew the **** out of everything, but I cannot find one to rent. Can a B2601 and rotary bush hog handle heavy vines? The Ash trees I figured I could get a grapple, cut them into 6 to 8 foot lengths, and just load them into a landscape dumpster (theres little in the way of limbs left on most of them).

Other ideas? Anyone have better equipment in Cincinnati and want to make some $$?

Chad

dr8015.jpg
21bqms.jpg

/ Overgrowth, honeysuckle, and vines... Oh my! #2  
Be very careful if trying to push over standing dead trees.Good way to get hurt.I would cut them down and then handle.A brush-hog should handle the rest.A grapple or thumb for your bucket may be a good investment.

/ Overgrowth, honeysuckle, and vines... Oh my! #3  
NEWTON'S LAW: Opposite and equal reaction. Hit decayed trees and they often buckle half way up, with the top falling right on top of the tractor operator.

Last edited:
   / Overgrowth, honeysuckle, and vines... Oh my! #4  
Take a look at this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...6-tractor-converting-cleared-forest-land.html

The recommended Ratchet Rake and Field Cultivator are available in sizes/weights suitable for a B2601.

I would invest in a propane torch for igniting the brush piles. Much safer than any liquid accelerant. Hot ashes can lurk for five days after a burn. Too many are injured using liquid to re-ignite burn piles.

Kubota makes center/rear Drawbars optional on most small models. With a rear/center drawbar and a Clevis Chain Grab Hook + Grade 70, 5/16" chain, you will have safest basic equipment to pull out the Wisteria and drag even large logs. Photo #1

Another option is a Three Point Hitch Cross Drawbar with short Boom Pole. This option has the advantage of lifting dragged material a few inches, decreasing friction, keeping logs cleaner for chainsawing after transport and keeps tow chain from abrading against road surfaces. Photo #2.
HANDI HITCH
SHORT BOOM POLE ADAPTER

Photo #3 is Kubota B3300 SU pulling a tree trunk utilizing a Cross Drawbar.

Attachments

• DSC00540.JPG
    DSC00540.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 186
  • 86545.jpg
    86545.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
   / Overgrowth, honeysuckle, and vines... Oh my! #5  
I think you can definitely do that with your tractor. For the amount they want to charge you, you will be well ahead by the end and have several new implements for your tractor, not to mention some experience using them!

Good luck and be safe.

/ Overgrowth, honeysuckle, and vines... Oh my! #6  
Oh yeah... If you don't have one, get a good chain saw.

/ Overgrowth, honeysuckle, and vines... Oh my!
NEWTON'S LAW: Opposite and equal reaction. Hit decayed trees and they often buckle half way up, with the top falling right on top of the tractor operator.

Good point Jeff. Only meant as a point, not a method. Many are near ready to fall at the slightest touch.

/ Overgrowth, honeysuckle, and vines... Oh my!
Thanks Deanocraft, and Jeff and others.

I do have a chainsaw.

I hit the wisteria vines with my loader several weeks ago and that stuff was like steel cables. Would a rotary mower chew it up?

/ Overgrowth, honeysuckle, and vines... Oh my! #9  
Since you mentioned Cinci, I'm guessing you're not too far from me. I'm south of Dayton - in the Franklin / Middletown area. I have many of the same "issues" that you do.

As the others have said - be careful around those dead ash trees. If they haven't started already, you'll find that they'll break off about 10' above the ground. Sometimes it's in a wind, other times it's just random. Ash gets very brittle after it's dead and any branches and/or limbs can come crashing down if you're pushing or cutting. I'd recommend getting a forestry helmet as some sort of protection. Just be careful around the ash trees.

We have a couple of tree companies around here that will charge by the day. I had one out at my place about 2 years ago - $1600 for a three man crew, boom truck and chipper for an honest 8 hours on site. I got the OK from the owner to "help" them and to use their chipper for some stuff I'd already cut. I had just put a grapple on my FEL bucket and I was moving the cut material over to the chipper location. The poor guy on the chipper was really hating me by the end of the day as I kept a constant supply of material for him. The crew told me later that we probably removed 3 or 4 extra trees due to having the tractor on site.

If you are just planning on hauling away the brush, the dumpster idea is a good one. I'd look into getting a set of forks for your FEL if you can. You'll find that it's a lot easier to move logs and brush with forks than with just a bucket.

The best way to remove honeysuckle is by the roots - otherwise it will just sprout again from what's left in the ground. If you cut it with a forestry mower or a brush hog, you'll need to spray what's left in the ground with Round-Up - and do it repeatedly. Not to mention you'll have all sorts of little "stumps" in the ground. I'd look into a Ratchet Rake or a Piranha Tooth Bar for your FEL.

I've tried most of the "manual methods" for removing the honeysuckle by the roots. My Piranha does a good, but "rough" job. I also have a Brush Grubber and an Extractagator. Both do a good job but both will work you to death! If you get a Brush Grubber, have someone on the tractor and someone on the ground. Otherwise it's on, off, on, off.... the tractor and that gets old in a hurry.

There's also a guy in Hamilton (I think) that makes some sort of "Honeysuckle Popper". It's basically a hook that is on the end of a big, wheeled lever and you work your way around the honeysuckle and keep "popping" it until it pops out completely. You can probably find that if you google it.

You can also look into some mechanical attachments for your tractor. They make hydraulic "jaws" that can clamp on to brush and pull it out. You might be a little limited with your smaller tractor though. I'm waiting on a FEL attachment that's hydraulic. I'll be posting about it when I get to put it to use.

Again, BE CAREFUL around those dead ash trees. D@mned Emerald Ash Borer!!:thumbdown:

/ Overgrowth, honeysuckle, and vines... Oh my! #10  
Two years ago, I got some prices to clear an acre that sounds very similar to what you have, The person I hired did the same thing with the prices, so out of spite, I rented a 550 dozer and cleared it myself... not the prettiest job, but $600 covered it. It had a HEAVY steel plate overhead for those pesky widowmakers, and it took a number of hits. BUT if the ash was over... say 6-8", I'd get a professional... NOT worth your life!! Those dead trees kill many experienced loggers every year.

I also ended up putting a grapple on the bucket of my 2615 to grab the piles of brush and drag them to the burn pile... A tractor will not protect you from a widowmaker...and I wouldn't try it... talk to a local contractor, I think your prices are quite high... A contractor with a large track hoe can push those over safely...