Rust on my table saw

/ Rust on my table saw #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So was gone for two months. Got home and the shop roof has a small leak. Dropped on my jigsaw table. It's surface rust. But not sure how to remove. Thoughts? IMG_4025.JPG

/ Rust on my table saw #2  
I'd wipe what I could off with a rag and solvent, then polish it up with a scotchbrite disc on an angle grinder. Doesn't look like there is any pitting, you might be left with some discoloration but it should come out fine. Maybe coat it with automotive wax when leaving it for an extended period to help protect it.

/ Rust on my table saw #3  
Simple way is to clean it with Vinegar! It is a mild acid.
Then WD-40.

/ Rust on my table saw #4  
Fine sandpaper will clear that up.
Then rub some wax on the metal to stop further surface rust, don't use oil as that will prevent wood finishes from even application on wooden projects.
Wax does not seem to deter wood finishing.
Blocks of canning wax works well when rubbed on the metal.

/ Rust on my table saw #6  
   / Rust on my table saw #7  
i left my table saw outside for a week and covered with cheap plastic. it ended up rusting anyway. i used leftover navel jelly. i used a rag and just rubbed it on. soon i had a rusty mess on the rag but it sure cleaned up just fine.

/ Rust on my table saw #8  
I used naval jelly & scotchbrite pad. Like radioman, it became a rusty brown gooey mess but it sure cleaned up nice & bright. The final wiped down was with acetone then a heavy duty floor wax - three coats. This was my cast iron band saw table top.

/ Rust on my table saw #9  
IF you go the vinegar route, you will have to neutralize the acid with baking soda and water then wipe with an alcohol product to remove the water.

/ Rust on my table saw #10  
For rust deterrent I always simply rubbed canning wax on the cast iron table top.
Next time I treat a casting I might just try automotive 'clear coat' as sold in rattle cans at most auto parts.