My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #21  
What about water? Are you digging a well?
My builder told me the first thing to do was dig the well, just in case the best well location was where we initially wanted to build the house. Maybe water is not an issue there though, since all areas are different.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
Is it me, or is the sky really blue there. Nice project.

IMG_6538.JPG

There are some amazing views from the homesite. This is from the deck I built on our camper, which is situated about 60-70 yds from the homesite, and where the barn will eventually sit.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #23  
All that glass and flat side on the south side.... you're gonna roast in summer. Plan out some overhangs that allow sun in during winter, but shade it out in summer.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #24  
You haven't priced copper roofing, have you? I knew it would be expensive but I asked a local metal roofing place (well known) for a ballpark quote for Steel standing seam and then Copper standing seam to get a feel. This was on an earlier design of my house which was more complex than we ended up with, but they came back with ~30k for steel and close to 100k for copper. WOW :eek: Just be forewarned...

my wife badly wanted a standing seam metal roof, but not badly enough to pay the $30K upcharge over shingles. i have a barn and a shed with metal roofing attached by through roof gasketed screws but there is no way i would use that on a dwelling. and so we're stuck with shingles :(

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build #25  
my wife badly wanted a standing seam metal roof, but not badly enough to pay the $30 upcharge over shingles. i have a barn and a shed with metal roofing attached by through roof gasketed screws but there is no way i would use that on a dwelling. and so we're stuck with shingles :(

I needed to re-roof my house a few years ago. I had roofed it myself twice and swore I would not use fiberglass or asphalt again!!!
We wanted a more traditional look than a standing seam roof so I had to hunt around awhile. Finally I found a company that produces a metal shingle that looks like slate. Cost was about $230 a square for the "Enhanced Slate" look, which is multi-toned finish. The biggest advantages was not having to strip the existing asphalt roof and the lighter weight. Not having to lug 80-90# bundles of shingles was real attractive especially with all the roof area. The metal weighted around 35# a box, with 2 boxes per square. It took a little longer to screw in place but not having to strip the roof and worry about being exposed to the weather made up for that. Flashing the dormers, sidewalls, valleys and chimney took a little more thought, where special flashings were required.

All said and done the wife and I are really happy with it!

Here's the link to the website... Steel Roofs | Arrowline Roofing | Steel Shingles | EDCO Metal Roofing

The only pictures i could fine on my laptop of the main house...

Metal Roof 2.JPG

Metal Roof 1.JPG

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #26  
View attachment 511822

There are some amazing views from the homesite. This is from the deck I built on our camper, which is situated about 60-70 yds from the homesite, and where the barn will eventually sit.

That's a beautiful site!
I followed your post of the concrete bag bridge and it's nice to see this as a followup.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #27  
my wife badly wanted a standing seam metal roof, but not badly enough to pay the $30 upcharge over shingles. i have a barn and a shed with metal roofing attached by through roof gasketed screws but there is no way i would use that on a dwelling. and so we're stuck with shingles :(

I also don't want through roof fastened screws on a dwelling. Have you or anyone else here looked into a hidden fastener metal roof system? Like the Pro-Snap steel from Menards that is only 28 gauge, and not like a formed on site standing metal seam.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #28  

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
We were delayed, waiting on building permit to be approved. It took 4 months to get approval, so just last month, I was able to really start clearing the homesite. We have our footings in place, and blockwork was supposed to start last yesterday.
Here is a drone shot from this past weekend.
IMG_7470.JPG
IMG_7454.JPG
I will try to update this project on a weekly basis. Keeping up with pictures is my weak point, since I get busy and forget to stop and document. Lately, my wife has started reminding me.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #30  
Congratulations on your permit. Looks like you are going to have an amazing view!!!!