My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #1  

WoodChuckDad

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320 Power Shuttle Cab, Komatsu PC130-6
We broke ground on the homesite this weekend.
As many of you know, I have been building an orchard in the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia. 55 acres purchased in last summer 2015. We had 20-25 acres logged, leaving us with an inordinate amount of slash and debris. We have 3 acres of Apple trees in the ground right now, with the eventual goal of opening a Cidery and producing craft hard cider.
We built 1/2 miles of road and a bridge to reach the home site. and for the last couple months, I have been staying onsite on the weekends in a camper that we put where we will be building our barn/shop.
I have had the drainfield marked, and analyzed (I think that is the correct word. We dug 5 large holes and they studies the rock to make sure it would work. ) I have had the electric company come out and do a walk thru with me for the power lines to be brought in. I received the contract with he electric company on Friday and gave them a quick read thru Friday night.
I have had the contractor who will put in my foundation come up and tell me what he needs me to do to prepare the site for him to come in and do the footings and foundation.
And most importantly, My home plans were drawn up by an architect friend who designs fantastic homes and buildings and the plans were submitted to the county for approval and building permits. Last weekend it was too wet to do much work on the home site, so we burned a couple piles of slash instead.

This weekend we dug up and moved all the stumps that were in the drainfield. And started digging up the stumps in the homesite.

Before and after on the homesite

IMG_6590.JPG

IMG_6602.JPG

Looking down toward the drainfield. Lots of stump piles to deal with.
IMG_6603.JPG

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build
Just to give a little teaser on the house design. This is one of the sketch pictures from over a year ago....some changes have been made. There will be no garage underneath. And my wife said no way on the color.
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 8.10.31 AM.png

Attachments

• VITTAL2.pdf
    218.1 KB · Views: 785
   / My Industrial Cabin Build #3  
As a person that fixes houses for a living, I sure wouldn't have a roof line like that if I could avoid it. No matter what material you use, that upper wall at the ridgeline is going to require maintenance of some kind.

I have three jobs coming up this year to remove pergola porches and build a solid roof type porch. They look nice, but do a poor job of providing shade and they do nothing to keep out the rain.

I'm in the process of converting my attached work shop into a garage for my wife. Eventually I'll build a separate building for my workshop, but the need is there for her to be able to pull in and to be able to unload groceries in there. Why don't you want a garage?

It will have an overhang. That was one of the first changes. Mostly to keep the summer time sun out.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #5  
As a person that fixes houses for a living, I sure wouldn't have a roof line like that if I could avoid it. No matter what material you use, that upper wall at the ridgeline is going to require maintenance of some kind.

I have three jobs coming up this year to remove pergola porches and build a solid roof type porch. They look nice, but do a poor job of providing shade and they do nothing to keep out the rain.

I'm in the process of converting my attached work shop into a garage for my wife. Eventually I'll build a separate building for my workshop, but the need is there for her to be able to pull in and to be able to unload groceries in there. Why don't you want a garage?

We've got what I think you're calling a pergola porch, over part of our deck. Wife trained vines to come up and cover it; it keeps the sun out of the part of the house next to it, and it's very pleasant under it during the summer, while letting small amounts of light through still and not feeling line a full roof (which it obviously isn't). It's perfect for most of spring through fall around here, and I don't care about the rest of the time.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #6  
I really like those pergolas with the vines all over them, especially when they are in bloom!! But it should be detached from the house so the vines cannot grow into parts of the house, under the shingles or behind anything.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #7  
We broke ground on the homesite this weekend.
As many of you know, I have been building an orchard in the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia. 55 acres purchased in last summer 2015. We had 20-25 acres logged, leaving us with an inordinate amount of slash and debris. We have 3 acres of Apple trees in the ground right now, with the eventual goal of opening a Cidery and producing craft hard cider.
We built 1/2 miles of road and a bridge to reach the home site. and for the last couple months, I have been staying onsite on the weekends in a camper that we put where we will be building our barn/shop.
I have had the djainfield marked, and analyzed (I think that is the correct word. We dug 5 large holes and they studies the rock to make sure it would work. ) I have had the electric company come out and do a walk thru with me for the power lines to be brought in. I received the contract with he electric company on Friday and gave them a quick read thru Friday night.
I have had the contractor who will put in my foundation come up and tell me what he needs me to do to prepare the site for him to come in and do the footings and foundation.
And most importantly, My home plans were drawn up by an architect friend who designs fantastic homes and buildings and the plans were submitted to the county for approval and building permits. Last weekend it was too wet to do much work on the home site, so we burned a couple piles of slash instead.

This weekend we dug up and moved all the stumps that were in the djainfield. And started digging up the stumps in the homesite.

Before and after on the homesite

View attachment 511655

View attachment 511656

Looking down toward the djainfield. Lots of stump piles to deal with.
View attachment 511657

Did you mean "drainfield"? (aka leach field)
"Googling" djainfield it seems there are a lot of people who have written djainfield, so is it a new type of drainfield?

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #8  
Did you mean "drainfield"? (aka leach field) "Googling" djainfield it seems there are a lot of people who have written djainfield, so is it a new type of drainfield?

Well put newbury. That term has me confused too.
Stuck

Did you mean "drainfield"? (aka leach field) "Googling" djainfield it seems there are a lot of people who have written djainfield, so is it a new type of drainfield?

Well put newbury. That term has me confused too.
Stuck

Not sure how I got that misspelling. I will correct it. Thanks.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #10  
I agree w Eddie about that small bit of siding above the near roof. Esp if it's on the sunny side - that siding won't last long. Even fiber-cement will fade its paint fast w reflected heat and light off the lower roof. Sketchup is cool, though, no?
Good for you getting the stumps good and gone.
Jim