Hauling mixed concrete?

/ Hauling mixed concrete? #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
This is a really dumb question, but I am pouring a 3/4 yard slab sidewalk right by the road. Having a truck delivery will cost $250 due to the small load. I have a mixer, but I'm lazy enough not to want to mix 25 bags of pre mix, and worry if I can mix fast enough. Unfortunately, there are no rental companies here that rent the small towable trailers. There is a concrete company 1 mile away. Any way to haul mixed concrete a short distance and dump it. Heck, i have a dump trailer. Thought about just picking up 3/4 yard and driving it the one mile to my project. Or building a tub with a chute. Am I crazy?

My mixer does two 80 pound bags pretty well. I guess i can work fast enough to mix and dump 3/4 yard. But I brainstorming an alternative.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Hauling mixed concrete? #2  
Sounds like you might have to mix it yourself.

/ Hauling mixed concrete? #3  
line dump trailer with plastic tarp haul alot of concrete in trailers over the years works good but I also have had concrete dropped off when they had extra from a job got it cheap or free they were already paid for it try that

/ Hauling mixed concrete? #4  
Last year we did an in-house project at our church - 2 ADA Bathrooms. The Women's Room was located in an existing space that is slab on grade. We had to remove and replace the concrete floor for the new underground plumbing. I brought a beat-up Harbor Freight mixer from work and mixed up over 30 (80#) bags of concrete in a couple hours. A few Ibuprofen gel caps were required the next day. But then it's been 40 years since I was 27, so I can't complain too much.

Attachments

• IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 551
   / Hauling mixed concrete? #5  
1 mile away. toss plastic in bucket of one of your tractors. and drive over there. assuming you have a slow motion sign for rear of tractor. and lights work.

heck if it takes a couple trips with tractor 1 mile... seems pretty quick with a tractor. i could pull that off.

/ Hauling mixed concrete? #6  
line dump trailer with plastic tarp haul alot of concrete in trailers over the years works good but I also have had concrete dropped off when they had extra from a job got it cheap or free they were already paid for it try that
Now there's good alternative. Depending upon the size of your trailer, the 3/4 Yd of concrete can spread out pretty thin. You could possibly partition a section of the trailer off before lining it with a tarp. The partition would have to be reinforced or blocked in such a way to prevent the heavy concrete mix from pushing it out of place while on the road.

Edited to correct "partition". ;)

Last edited:
   / Hauling mixed concrete? #7  
Now there's good alternative. Depending upon the size of your trailer, the 3/4 Yd of concrete can spread out pretty thin. You could possibly patrician a section of the trailer off before lining it with a tarp. The patrician would have to be reinforced or blocked in such a way to prevent the heavy concrete mix from pushing it out of place while on the road.

Make that partition.:)

Steve

/ Hauling mixed concrete? #8  
You surely can haul concrete. It does segregate though. All the aggregate will be in the bottom. The top ends up a runny mess. Depending on the plant chute your vehicle and trailer may take on a spotted cement Look!

If you do haul specify some no slump or a high early type that is used immediately for building things like manholes on.

Yes, at one time manholes were built with concrete blocks.k

Last edited:
   / Hauling mixed concrete? #9  
There are some concrete companies that rent trailers just for hauling concrete.

/ Hauling mixed concrete? #10  
Warning: When hauling concrete in a trailer, do not stop quickly.

It will all come forward, and much of it will spill out of the front of the trailer.

Trust me.