lots of erosion! what to do, what to do...

/ lots of erosion! what to do, what to do... #1  

boggen

Elite Member
Tractor
SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester
fall 2016, neighbor installed drain tiled in their field, at the end of it all, the snuck across and cut through my fence line, and install drained tile onto my property, and changed the natural point of entry were water would normally enter my property. and had been entering my property.

1. of approx 550 feet of grass waterway, the drain tile by passes 250 of that grass water way. the remaining 300 feet, has been severely eroded away between drain tile and lake. resulting in and fines/silt coming from drain tile to go into lake, but also the soil from (erosion of the waterway) also ends in the lake as well.
  2. all the fines / silt / soil just feeding algae and single cell organisms and other aquatic weeds, resulting in 1/2 of lake to be covered in moss and like.
  3. for what ever reason, my shore/banks on lake have begun to collaspe as well. been fine for an easy 25 plus years. end result of this sudden erosion is both ends of bridge have collasped into the water. and the dock that hinges on shore bank has become a saftey hazard. along with many trees going around lake are now have there roots showing from the collasped shore/banks of the lake.
  4. the overflow on lake the end of the pipe, to creek, has eroded a 3 foot x 3 foot channel. and removing a culvert i had in place. causing me to loose access to front portion of pasture / wooded area.
  5. were drain tile comes onto my property, the fence (my half of it), was never repaired were they went through it to install drain tile.
  6. the trench goes through driveway, which is only access to lake/cabin/pasture. left it a muddy mess, causing water to stand on the driveway, and ditches to not work, and causing more water to go across the driveway. result normal cars bottom up as they go through the area. also no base rock or like was added to area were trench goes through driveway. the trench itself does not seem like it was very well compacted. as in most likely needing to dig down to drain tile. and then re layer the dirt back in and compacting backup to the surface of the ground. with last few inches with some larger road base rock.
  7. they also dug out a tree, and left it between field and grass waterway. so i can no longer mow around the lake. no were to turn around or less into planted crop field, and that is not happening.
  8. crop field a portion is left un-usable. due to drain tile runs close to surface of ground.

==========
looking at

1. repairing fence,
  2. repairing driveway near fence, along with the ditches, possibly fixing my own drain tile that runs in that area as well.
  3. putting in 3 settling ponds (mini ponds) into grass waterway to help slow down the water velocity, to reduce errosion and to act as a filter to let stuff sink down into the mini ponds. were hopefully my TLB with 8 foot of reach or so can clean the mini ponds out.
  4. looking to install at least 2 sections of retaining walls. 120' section, and another 40 foot section. were enterece to the lake itself. not sure what the heck i am going to do about the other shore/bank of the lake that are eroding away.
  5. dropping some additional posts at each end of bridge, to raise bridge ends up out of the water, and most likely a larger platforms (couple large size steps) to deal with gap between the bridge and hill side that is now there.
  6. installing a couple culverts side by side down in pasture. to deal with 3' feet wide, 4" deep water coming from lake overflow pipe, along with a spillway around it.

========
my main issue at this point is how to deal with the lake shore/banks. to keep further erosion from happening. rough estimate 1500 feet of total banks off of google maps. with approx 1 to 2 feet straight vertical mud banks currently. the more they erode away, the more straight vertical wall will happen.

not really looking forward to cutting all the trees down around the pond edge, more so trees that stick out into the water and /or over the water. (good fishing spots)

gabion basket retaining wall = 3'x3' feet wire cage with 3" x 3" square grid size, and filled with recylced concrete. looking at some sort of "fabric" installed on the top of them. and then dirt just pushed right up to the edge. so folks can walk bare foot right up to the lake edge, and/or dogs can walk across it.

other option possibly 6"x6" rough cut timbers for retaining walls. with dead men installed.

one section 120' and another 40' section of retaining wall bare min.

but rest of the lake shore/bank area. i don't know what to do. rip rap rock 4" and larger, or something else....

Last edited:
   / lots of erosion! what to do, what to do...
overviews
mine = bottom left
neighbors = top right
lXBWTFr.jpg

starting top right (my property and neighbors and then working down towards lake, then down to pasture)
xPiw9Dn.jpg

folR1Iw.jpg

9Nltb6i.jpg

M5VO5kd.jpg

MvhTfkf.jpg

OylFq3L.jpg

moss covering lake, a lot of it all blew down into bridge and to other side of bridge for these pictures.
0mewZME.jpg

XJn4Q3M.jpg

y3O5k50.jpg

Suxijb5.jpg

eLLjfjP.jpg

bridge ends had 12" to 18" worth of dirt under them before drain tile went in.
3AIHm9K.jpg

Vqogimb.jpg

dock also had 12" to 18" worth of dirt under it as well. vs lumber falling down into the water.
gHl0O5P.jpg

LOHHBeu.jpg

8.5" inside diameter drain tile pipe neighbors installed. rock = approx 12' diameter round end of pipe.
L3SfrzB.jpg

tree dug out and left between filed and grass waterway. no way to really pull it out, or less through the field itself.
64BgFwL.jpg

tq0qJ31.jpg

fence lined ripped out and never replaced, along with driveway issues and ditch issues
uioxPxW.jpg

sRzPhzh.jpg

rXkzC11.jpg

mkfLziA.jpg

/ lots of erosion! what to do, what to do... #5  
I don't quite understand your description of the problem. Sounds like the neighbor put in some drain tile that dumps onto your property? I'm not the one to give advice on how to repair the erosion damage, but let me ask this. What are the local laws regarding water run off? Clearly the neighbor shouldn't be able to do anything on your property without your approval, so if the drain tile actually runs onto your property, they are breaking the law. In addition, if they have altered the natural flow of the water, they *may* be liable for damages...or storm run off may be considered a "common enemy"...all depends on your local laws...worth looking into because looks like you have some costs to fit things up.

Edit: I was typing this as you made the additional post with the pictures and marking, I think I understand now. Same questions about local laws still apply though.

/ lots of erosion! what to do, what to do... #6  
I know what I would do. My #1 priority would be dealing with my neighbor and see what he/she is going to do about the damage and removing the drain tile from my property.

/ lots of erosion! what to do, what to do... #7  
Call your state don't and a lawyer

settling ponds

have yet to actually measure, just guessing at this stage

smallest dam = approx 5 to 8 feet wide, to 3 feet deep, 20 foot pipe going through bottom
middle dam = average between the small/large dam, with 20 foot pipe going through bottom.
largest dam = 50 feet wide maybe a bit wider to 8 to 12 feet deep, 40 footer pipe going through bottom
settlingponds.png

approx 1 to 1.5 feet step from hill to bridge. once bridge ends are re-raised out of water.
showing very ugly drawing of min 4 more posts, and a large step or steps being added.
bridge with large steps.png

down in the pasture. the culvert. washed out completely. i do not remember what size it was exactly i want to say either 12" or 15" pipe i did have in place.

pasture culvert.png

looking at 2 smaller size culvert pipes. to deal with area. and then needing to pile up dirt/rock over it. in order to obtain enough "depth" of material. so i can drive over it, without crushing the culvert pipes.

have video. best i have for pictures taken for showing depth of water and width of sheet of water flowing through area.
S2320039.JPG
S2320041.JPG