Need advice on a wood shed.

/ Need advice on a wood shed. #1  

jack707

Veteran Member
Tractor
farm trac 555
I have to build another wood shed it's going to be 16'x 12' a lean two. Now my question is I like to use metal to build it or use 4x4 for the posts the metal I can get is sq. Tubing and 11ga. Wall thickness so will this hold up to Northern Wis. Snow?.

/ Need advice on a wood shed. #2  
Can't say for sure where you are, but ever since they changed the treatment process of Pressure Treated wood, 4x4's have been worthless. The amount of bend and twist you get out of them has forced me to stop using them for anything longer then a deck post. Even then, I'm taking a chance. I use treated 6x6's for everything. More money, more weight, but very little bend to them.

/ Need advice on a wood shed. #3  
I have to build another wood shed it's going to be 16'x 12' a lean two. Now my question is I like to use metal to build it or use 4x4 for the posts the metal I can get is sq. Tubing and 11ga. Wall thickness so will this hold up to Northern Wis. Snow?.

I used old power line cross members to build mine. (16'x20') They were 4"x6" pressure treated. Got them at the local power company truck yard. They held up fine the year it snowed 106"

/ Need advice on a wood shed.
Well I guess I'll price some

/ Need advice on a wood shed. #5  
I intended to use 4x4's to support my raised deck, but was told I had to go with 6x6's as the 4x4's would potentially bow with the weight of the hot tub and snow load in Northern Ontario. 4x4's MAY suffice, but 6x6 is recommended.

/ Need advice on a wood shed. #6  
You can also use 4x6 posts, which are a nice compromise. That's what I used for my wood shed. They stayed nice and straight and have better treatment like 6x6's, but cost less and are lighter weight.

/ Need advice on a wood shed. #7  
I think there are too many unknowns yet....how may posts? are they going in ground or on footers? The metal you have is ~1/8 wall, how big is the tubing? Are you talking about using that for just the posts? or for the entire construction?

If you can sketch out the design you are thinking of, you'll get better advice.

I think there are too many unknowns yet....how may posts? are they going in ground or on footers? The metal you have is ~1/8 wall, how big is the tubing? Are you talking about using that for just the posts? or for the entire construction?

If you can sketch out the design you are thinking of, you'll get better advice.
I was thinking about using wood for the posts and metal for the roof. The tubing is 1 1/2 " and 11 gauge wall thickness.

/ Need advice on a wood shed. #9  
I was thinking about using wood for the posts and metal for the roof. The tubing is 1 1/2 " and 11 gauge wall thickness.

I assume you are attempting to span the 12 foot dimension with the 11 gauge 1.5" square tubing? How many metal rafter are you planning on using?

I assume you are attempting to span the 12 foot dimension with the 11 gauge 1.5" square tubing? How many metal rafter are you planning on using?
Every 16" was gonna use 24"