Akita Pool

/ Akita Pool
Eddie,
Were the posts real cedar (like a pine tree) or what we wrongly call cedar in Texas (Mountain Juniper)?

Were the posts the whole tree, maybe with just the bark pealed?

If it was juniper and nearly the whole tree, I think you had the sapwood rot away leaving just the rot-resistant heartwood. Saw it with fence posts growing up.

Usually, the layer of sapwood is fairly thin on Mt. Juniper but I think if it grew in favorable conditions the sapwood gets thicker.

I never did any research before, but since you asked, I just did and it looks like what I've been calling a cedar tree, is actually an Ashe Juniper tree.

/ Akita Pool #182  
Eastern Red Cedar heartwood won't rot. At least I haven't lived long enough to see the heartwood rot.
hugs, Brandi

/ Akita Pool #183  
So many distractions have come up that I haven't had any time to do anything on this until yesterday. The biggest motivation to start this project was that the current cedar posts for the porch where rotting out. I put them in the ground back in 2005 and started noticing rot after a few years. I though they where ready to fail, and thought that if I didn't get them out now, the porch would fall over during a thunderstorm in the Winter or Spring.

After taking apart the porch, I jacked these posts out of the ground to find very solid wood in the ground. I don't know if the outer layer just rots away and that's that, or if the rot would continue like it has and eventually fail. I was surprised by this.

View attachment 523344

This morning I woke up planning to get more work done, but my wife was sick and very dehydrated, so we went to the hospital instead. She is doing better, the IV did wonders for her and for the first time in two days, she is able to sleep. I did all her chores today, and went to the feed store. Maybe next weekend I'll be more productive.
cedar rots on the outside, the heart stays good almost indefinitely! but they will loosen in the hole as the diameter shrinks from rot

/ Akita Pool
I drilled the rebar into my existing porch and also into the house foundation. I also drilled holes for it into the sides of the blocks so it would end in the middle of the block. Since the bock is 16 inches long, I went with one piece of 3/8's or #3 rebar in every other opening of the block, which gave me a nice 16 inch grid. Big enough to walk through and keep the rebar in the air on chairs.

The rebar and forms have been done for quite awhile, but the weather hasn't been good. To get to where the cement truck needed to be, I had to make sure the ground was dry. Rain kept messing that up, but fortunately it's been dry for a couple of weeks and the ground is nice and solid.

4 yards is the minimum, and I used up every bit of it. My measurements put me at 3.2 yards. The rest I wanted to fill as many blocks as I could. That turned out to be both a good idea, because it's another step forward, but also a horrible idea, because of the effort it took to do this on my own.

Now to focus on the house and getting the porch built before winter gets here.

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0282.JPG

/ Akita Pool
Winter got in the way, and then we found out my wife had colon cancer, so that has been keeping us busy, but she is doing better now and I'm back to work on the Akita Pool.

I finished filling in all the blocks with concrete, grinding all my seems down and then sealing all my inside corners. Matsu is the most curious, and always the first to see what's going on.

36436185_1944897795533852_7920932434227494912_n.jpg

Then after a lot of reading, asking for advice, and calling manufactueres, I decided on RedGard to seal the block. That was my original plan when I started this project, but the more I asked, the more options I learned about, and then dismissed for a variety of reasons. Cost, complications installing, Cost, lack of support from the manufacturer, Cost and availability.

First coat of RedGard was brushed on every seam. I put it on fairly thick, but more importantly, getting it into every crevice. Then the next day, I used a paint roller with a 1/2 inch nap to roll it on over every square inch, including what was already done the day before.

This morning we put the hose in there and started to fill it up. Of course, Matsu was the only one to see what was going on, and get his toes wet.

36437848_10216823660246512_1028081605769428992_n.jpg

36573965_10216823581964555_1639334165855862784_n (1).jpg

/ Akita Pool #189  
Hey Eddie, thanks for the up date. Just the other day while Surfing TBN I thought about that project.
Very interested in how the Red Guard works. Around here, some tile guys are using Red Guard over common drywall in showers. Being old school, i’m Having trouble getting my head wrapped around that concept.
Good to hear the wife is doing well.
B. John

/ Akita Pool #190  
Winter got in the way, and then we found out my wife had colon cancer, so that has been keeping us busy, but she is doing better now and I'm back to work on the Akita Pool.

I finished filling in all the blocks with concrete, grinding all my seems down and then sealing all my inside corners. Matsu is the most curious, and always the first to see what's going on.

View attachment 561066

Then after a lot of reading, asking for advice, and calling manufactueres, I decided on RedGard to seal the block. That was my original plan when I started this project, but the more I asked, the more options I learned about, and then dismissed for a variety of reasons. Cost, complications installing, Cost, lack of support from the manufacturer, Cost and availability.

First coat of RedGard was brushed on every seam. I put it on fairly thick, but more importantly, getting it into every crevice. Then the next day, I used a paint roller with a 1/2 inch nap to roll it on over every square inch, including what was already done the day before.

This morning we put the hose in there and started to fill it up. Of course, Matsu was the only one to see what was going on, and get his toes wet.

View attachment 561067

View attachment 561068

All that concrete grinding got you a bit dirty there my friend....but your dog still loves you.

Glad to hear the wifey is better and the pool is coming along.