Akita Pool

/ Akita Pool
Keep an eye out for heat stroke symptoms.

Symptoms of Heat Stroke

The hallmark symptom of heat stroke is a core body temperature above 104 degrees Fahrenheit. But fainting may be the first sign.

Other symptoms may include:

Throbbing headache
Dizziness and light-headedness
Lack of sweating despite the heat
Red, hot, and dry skin
Muscle weakness or cramps
Nausea and vomiting
Rapid heartbeat, which may be either strong or weak
Rapid, shallow breathing
Behavioral changes such as confusion, disorientation, or staggering
Seizures
Unconsciousness

The only symptom that I've noticed is the confusion. I'll forget what I'm doing, or why I'm standing there. Sadly, this also happens first thing in the morning, or in the middle of winter when heat is not a concern. But it is the first sign when it's hot out that I notice, and it's when I start planning on calling it a day.

A few years ago my dad was helping me remove the engine from the dump truck. He was using the impact wrench to take off the bumper. It was in the mid 90's with high humidity, which is normal for our summers. He kept telling me that every bolt was stripped and that we had to cut them all off. I think he tried a dozen bolts with the same results. I thought that was odd for every single one of them to be stripped, so I took a look and instantly realized that he was using a socket that was several sizes to big for the bolts. He was too hot and not thinking clearly, or able to realize that the socket was too big. I sent him inside to the AC.

/ Akita Pool #62  
Looks good. Yeah, this heat is something -- I didn't even try to work outdoors today. Took care of a couple indoors projects instead. I find as I get older I have much less resistance/tolerance for heat and dehydration. I'll start feeling lightheaded when bending over and getting up, and lose focus, which I think are all a sign of lowered blood pressure from dehydration. Used to be I'd skip over those less severe symptoms and keep going until I hit the more severe symptoms of muscle cramps, etc.

I could not live in the heat. Just mid 80's knock me out working hard. This weekend we picked up off the fields and loaded the barn to the rafters 800 hay bales. Friday , Saturday, and Sunday. The last 200 or so we had help. At that point we were useless.
Speaking of muscle cramps, well let's not speak of them. I'm on my second banana today and tried to drink as much liquids I could wash down. Hate being old.

/ Akita Pool #63  
Neat project and pretty dogs. Salt water pools are so much easier to maintain when everything is working correctly. I'll 2nd the vote for checking out Trouble Free Pool, they got me to where I am now with my pool. Now I'm a pool snob and dislike other people's not so clean pools. :D

Something you may want to research is if the other chemicals used in most pools will mess with their beautiful fur. Mainly thinking of the stabilizer (CYA). There are natural ways to adjust the PH that are listed on that website.

/ Akita Pool #64  
I'm on my second banana today and tried to drink as much liquids I could wash down. Hate being old.

After cleaning up after getting hot, I have a spoonful of mustard. If I got too hot, I take another spoonful of mustard. No cramping and I feel much better. I don't let the mustard touch my tongue on the way down.

I even keep a bottle of mustard at the hangar for nights I get too hot.
hugs, Brandi

/ Akita Pool #65  
After cleaning up after getting hot, I have a spoonful of mustard. If I got too hot, I take another spoonful of mustard. No cramping and I feel much better. I don't let the mustard touch my tongue on the way down.

I even keep a bottle of mustard at the hangar for nights I get too hot.
hugs, Brandi

I have heard that drinking pickle juice helps as well.

/ Akita Pool #66  
Just happened on this thread... 'cool' project Eddie. I will be interested in your filtration/monitoring/dosing, etc. part of the system.

/ Akita Pool
im surprised she lets them play in the dirt. Seems like repeated play in that red mud would stain their white paw tips and it be hard to get out for shows.

One of the problems with Akita's is they blow their coat. Summer time is a bad time to show them since they are losing so much hair. My wife bathes them about every other week, and brushes them out a couple times a week. Dog hair is something we just deal with. They have a very large doggy door, and the amount of dirt they bring into the house is amazing. She sweeps several times a day, and I've gone from changing the air filter in our AC unit from once a month, to once a week, and now twice a week.

Once it cools off and they start showing again, they will get their bathes here, but then again at the show either the day before, or that morning. I think a big part of why there are so many women at the dog shows is that they all love washing their dogs!!!! It's non stop.

/ Akita Pool #69  
I eat that much mustard on sandwiches! I love it. I also love pickle juice and will drink it just cause when I think about it, which is not that often, usually if I get a pickle. But I will drink it after lots of exertion for that reason.

Does it help? I cant say, I still feel like I did something the day before but because every day is different I cant compare it to if I didn't drink it?

/ Akita Pool
20374217_10214035869673490_5726477102639416231_n.jpg

20 foot long 3/8's or #3 rebar is bent, tied and resting on chairs. I put a temporary piece of rebar all around the pool to keep the upright parts in position. Then my wife wanted something to stop the dogs from diving on to of the rebar to impale themselves. I guess Akita's do that kind thing?