Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    1989 Ford 1920

Default Re: Building firewood rack from pallets

I've been using pallets like this for 10 years or so.
    The first pallet racks I made were built so I could take them apart and break them down flat as I used the wood. I still have the first ones I built this way and they work well but are too much work and cost to keep making.

Can't beat pallet racks.
    how I do it now=
    Oak pallets are used for racks and I take crummy oak ones apart for boards for uprights and sides. I Put old ones or pine pallets under the wood pallets as sacrificial ones to keep the wood pallets off the ground.

The first pics are the old pallet racks which are now 10 years old and still in use

Building firewood rack from pallets-s-8-jpgBuilding firewood rack from pallets-firewood1-jpgBuilding firewood rack from pallets-firewood2-jpgBuilding firewood rack from pallets-firewood3-jpg

Tractor
    1989 Ford 1920

These pics are how I'm making the pallet racks now
    All wood is from pallets taken apart
    The empty ones are on their side so I can move them with a hand truck
    You have to look close but there are two strands of wire across each of the uprights.
    Wire is unwoven from black chain link fence. It holds up well and keeps sides from spreading when I'm moving with tractor.

the last pic is a little wood shed made of pallet racks thrown out by BJs, holds a cord
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building firewood rack from pallets-130012-32f10a36a2576bc6af5e741515d63d43-jpg   Building firewood rack from pallets-130013-3104a53da1ffc7c7fe135711776c87aa-jpg   Building firewood rack from pallets-130022-74ccec449a146e485dc60af1449e188c-jpg   Building firewood rack from pallets-130023-03312328c0a355bbd5a94cd4f49e0b6d-jpg   Building firewood rack from pallets-fullsizerender-7-jpg  

Building firewood rack from pallets-img_0388-jpg   Building firewood rack from pallets-img_0425-jpg  
    Last edited by MIkeWard; 07-14-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Tractor
    1989 Ford 1920

I got a late start splitting with this year because the Lovejoy on my splitter broke. It took me a while to get the parts and fix it. I thought I'd post some pictures of what I've split since then. I'm keeping all the wood this year on pallets. So I can move around easily with the tractor and forks .
    Right now I used up my last pallet so I'm waiting to get more.
    I've been breaking up pallets to make the sides on the new firewood racks so the only cost to me is screws and nails
    All the wood is red Oak except for the last two pictures
    The last picture is all the cherry I've been hoarding in the second to last is maple
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building firewood rack from pallets-130970-4759c76f50a24f088a0b1f13b394e972-jpg   Building firewood rack from pallets-130971-ad162845335f1ac404e1d7d334b89b39-jpg   Building firewood rack from pallets-130972-0e28ecc4c8663f7ca00bb186d9368dc9-jpg   Building firewood rack from pallets-130974-2006f88d76dc4c20b1fcf67f31fc0b2e-jpg   Building firewood rack from pallets-130975-ff53bd45caac1ff6c995fa793fb01423-jpg  

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Gone

Quote Originally Posted by clemsonfor View Post
    all the methods here is what I have have seen and considered! I have also considered laying palets on the ground and standing one up vertical and then using boards at like a 45 degree angle that connect the vertical ones to the ones on the ground.
    That's what I've been doing.

And I'm tired of them rotting out and having to be replaced every few years. It's a pain. Even though they are free, it's just a hassle.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Quote Originally Posted by MIkeWard View Post
    The first pallet racks I made were built so I could take them apart and break them down flat as I used the wood. I still have the first ones I built this way and they work well but are too much work and cost to keep making.

Can't beat pallet racks.
    how I do it now=
    Oak pallets are used for racks and I take crummy oak ones apart for boards for uprights and sides. I Put old ones or pine pallets under the wood pallets as sacrificial ones to keep the wood pallets off the ground.

The first pics are the old pallet racks which are now 10 years old and still in use

Building firewood rack from pallets-s-8-jpgBuilding firewood rack from pallets-firewood1-jpgBuilding firewood rack from pallets-firewood2-jpgBuilding firewood rack from pallets-firewood3-jpg
    Hey I recognize this setup and your name!! Like I know you from some place else??

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Quote Originally Posted by MIkeWard View Post

Can't beat pallet racks.
    how I do it now=

Hey I recognize this setup and your name!! Like I know you from some place else??
    Hehe ;-)

Tractor
    1989 Ford 1920

you are sure right!
    good to see you here
    This is another great forum
    Last edited by MIkeWard; 07-15-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Tractor
    Kioti NX6010, Honda Pioneer 1000

Well, I actually have something like one of those part bins, I got a wood chipper and it was delivered on something kind of like that. Definitely going to be a wood rack in the future!

Not hearing a ton of good things about the pallet racks other than "cheap". What about building it ground up for this use? 4x4s on the bottom, 5/4 decking, 4x4 posts on the sides? Gonna be a bit pricey, but probably in the 50/rack range I'd guess. And it can be pressure treated, and I can make it any size I want, so long as my tractor can pick it up. Hmmm...

Anyone go down this route?

Tractor
    Kubota L3240, Kubota B7100, Kubota F2560, John Deer, F525 Mule 600

Default Building firewood rack from pallets

It's more money than I want to spend. And I doubt you could do it for $50.

Tractor
    Montana 2844

I built wooden firewood racks so I could move them with my forks. Lasted 1 season. The 2x3 sides and top just did not hold up.

Building firewood rack from pallets-_dsc7306-jpg
    Building firewood rack from pallets-_dsc7307-jpg

Found a guy selling IBC cages for $30, so I bought 2 season's worth so I can have 1 years supply ready to burn, and 1 seasoning for the following year. Hoping these last me for the rest of my life! Cut out an opening so you can reach in and grab the wood on the bottom.

Building firewood rack from pallets-_dsc9098-jpg
    Building firewood rack from pallets-_dsc9099-jpg

I still use wooden pallets to keep my firewood in process off the ground until it is split and can be stacked in the IBC cages. Just picked up 2018-2019's firewood. A woman at church had 5 red oak trees taken down, and she had the tree guy cut everything in 18" rounds. She called me and asked if I could use the wood. Took home 3-4 cords worth. A real blessing!

Building firewood rack from pallets-_dsc9101-jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast