Building firewood rack from pallets

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #1  

Overtaxed

Tractor
Kioti NX6010, JD 2720 w/46BH, Honda Pioneer 1000
I have a few ideas on how to do this already, but wanted to see if anyone had some better ones. Want to put my wood on pallets so I can stick it with my forks when I need it and move it up to the house, but keep it out of sight when I'm not using it. Also, want to cut down on the number of moves; cut the tree down/split/stack on pallet, then straight to the house when it's ready to burn.

Any pictures or descriptions would be great. I'm thinking of using 3 pallets per box, one on the bottom and 2 on each side to make a 3 sided box. 5/4 or something like that providing some bracing.

Thanks!

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #2  
I don't know about using pallets, but I know people that have used the metal crates that IBC totes go in. They seem to work well and can be had cheap enough.

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #3  
What tractor do you have? Lifting them will be the first challenge. I gave up on the idea after I discovered pallets weren't sturdy enough and it cost too much to make better ones. IMG_7526.JPG

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #4  
I use pallets for my wood. They look like the photo above except they are made from 1x4 with a rope across the top to prevent the sides from pulling apart. IMG_3279.JPGIMG_3282.JPG

All I did was trim the top of the pallet so it was even with the 2x4s that stand on end. I glued and screwed the 1x4 sides on. I get the pallets for free and the 1x4 is the twisted "junk" from the lumber yard that people don't want to use for trim or finish work. They charged me about $1 a board. So 15' to assemble and a few bucks in material- I don't mind they "only" last a few years.
If money was no object the containers mentioned above are nice too- I just haven't found a deal on them in my area.

Btw that's about all the firewood my tractor can curl. It lifts it without issue.

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #5  
My boxes should have been taller since I had tons ( literally) of lift capacity to spare, but I had lots of free 4' 2x4s laying around. And I should have tied the tops together.

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #6  
I've been using pallets for many years. I'm tired of them rotting out on me. Looking for another solution this year.

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #7  
here are some pics from this group over the years I snagged for friends.. I personally have the 45x48 plastic collapsiblefirewood rack1.jpgfirewood rack2.jpg totes so I can stack the in my woodshed

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #8  
I use pallets, but the ultimate are the "GM" parts bins. They're like $120+ each, used, though (even more in the link below). I have 2 of them in this picture. The only one you can see is on top of the first one. My dream would be having 50+ of 'em. Wire Baskets For Sale: NEW 5131 Compatible 54x44x38 Collapsible Wire Basket, Stackable, Drop Gate., IL, Illinois, USA, TX, Texas, USA, CA, California, USA, GA, Georgia, USA, GA, Georgia, USA

Beyond those two things, I haven't come up with anything better.

DlF5UU9.jpg

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #9  
all the methods here is what I have have seen and considered! I have also considered laying palets on the ground and standing one up vertical and then using boards at like a 45 degree angle that connect the vertical ones to the ones on the ground.

/ Building firewood rack from pallets #10  
I have several that I've made. I use a heavy duty Chep pallet on the bottom. Then i set one vertically on top of the edge and another one butted up to the opposite edge. Then a couple 1x4s connecting the tops. The top isn't flat this way, so a piece of roofing set on top will shed water.

Honestly, though, I don't like them that much. They break, rot out, spill wood, and so on. Check out the ones Sawyer Rob makes. I think he's onto something. His design is wider and lower than what I normally see. Sturdier too.