Finally starting an addition on our shed

/ Finally starting an addition on our shed #1  

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40 DA, Deere 17D, Hyster SX50 forklift, Case D450, Kubota ZD1011-54, International Dump Truck, Kubota SVL-952S, Volovo EC250DL
It'll be 4 or 5 years before we can build our forever house. In the meantime, we've been living in a 325 sq/ft Morgan Building and it's getting a little tight so we've decided to make a couple of addition. Today, we started drilling holes for the pier foundation. This will be a 2 story 20x20 addition for a bedroom, office, closet and bath. We're probably going to just rough in the bath as we've got a lot of stuff in the apartment in Houston that we need to get moved down here so we can downsize that to a 1 bedroom for our daughter. I'm going to pour 50# concrete wafers in the bottom of the holes with rebar stirrups in them and then pour 8x8 piers on top of those around the rebar to tie them together. It'll be a couple of weeks to finish the foundation with cure time and then things should start going fast. I like framing, siding, electrical, plumbing, etc., I hate the finish work. Fortunately, the finish work is what my wife excels at.

The TSC PTO post hole digger did a better job than I expected. I did water the area for 20 straight hours first though, we've had less than an inch of rain in the last 8 weeks so the ground is otherwise like concrete.
cd3a8d48012311a053d9ad92b080152a.jpg
2a9399f7a6f83e561ef450e5ee9a7ba0.jpg

/ Finally starting an addition on our shed #2  
This should be interesting to watch!!
David from jax

/ Finally starting an addition on our shed #3  
I've found that a lot of people understatement just what a great post hole auger Tractor Supply Sells. I'm not a fan of most of their stuff, but that auger is the best deal for the money out there!!!!

I'm curious why two stories? If you have the land, I've always found it cheaper, faster and a lot easier to spread out rather then go up. Plus with small square footage, stairs eat up a lot of real estate.

/ Finally starting an addition on our shed
A couple of reasons, first it does save some material in concrete and roofing so up is a little cheaper. More importantly though, my wife has a lot of joint and spinal issues and keeping her moving helps those stay lubricated, so to speak. She feels better physically when she's going up and down stairs. The view is also nicer when we get higher.

The connection of the 2nd floor to the existing building is also going to allow us to create an attic area over the existing building to house a/c ducts so we can go ahead and install central air. These window units are killing us on the power bill.

/ Finally starting an addition on our shed #5  
Sounds like you have a good plan. I'm looking forward to following your progress. Funny thing about the view being better. Every time I'm on my roof, I think that I should build a tower so I can enjoy the view!!

/ Finally starting an addition on our shed #6  
Sounds like you have a good plan. I'm looking forward to following your progress. Funny thing about the view being better. Every time I'm on my roof, I think that I should build a tower so I can enjoy the view!!

You know, I've thought the same thing.

Been pondering an observation tower in the yard. That'd be cool.

/ Finally starting an addition on our shed
The master bedroom is going upstairs, it's going to have a 12x20 covered balcony connected to it. With French Doors upstairs, I'll be able to set furniture in the deck with the FEL and carry it right in instead of navigating stairs. The stairs are going to wrap 180 at a mid-level landing to minimize their footprint so getting furniture up them woukd suck.

/ Finally starting an addition on our shed #8  
save some material in concrete and roofing so up is a little cheaper.... More importantly though, my wife has a lot of joint and spinal issues and keeping her moving helps those stay lubricated,...She feels better physically when she's going up and down stairs.

As you get older, stairs lose their appeal very fast.

Two levels I hear are generally a little cheaper to build per square foot. I built a nice raised ranch that took 14 steps to get to the main level. I was in my 40s so it wasn't such a problem, but now 20 years later, no way.

/ Finally starting an addition on our shed #9  
As you get older, stairs lose their appeal very fast.

Two levels I hear are generally a little cheaper to build per square foot. I built a nice raised ranch that took 14 steps to get to the main level. I was in my 40s so it wasn't such a problem, but now 20 years later, no way.

Same here, I'd gladly swap the basement for an extra 600 sq ft of my ranch style house.

/ Finally starting an addition on our shed #10  
Same here, I'd gladly swap the basement for an extra 600 sq ft of my ranch style house.

In my case, the cost to forego a basement on our house five years ago more than paid for my pole barn.