Extended Crew Cab- The SuperDuperDuty family hauler

/ Extended Crew Cab- The SuperDuperDuty family hauler
No progress on this project in weeks...

Been bitter cold here the past few weeks, warmed up for a few days now... finally did something that is kind of like progress. Got the windshield out of the crew cab I'm extending, to use in the gasser crew cab I just traded for. I needed the windshield out anyway, for paint and re-sealing reasons. Being able to remove it without breaking it is a plus, and will give me a good one for the gasser truck so I can get it road-ready.

I used a piece of wire rope/cable, about 1/16", and just see-sawed it and it cut right thru the urethane adhesive. I got a hole started by heating a nail with a torch and melted a hole thru the urethane at one of the lower corners. There was a fair amount of paint damage, I wouldn't want to do this on a nice paint job. But if the paint was nice, I doubt I'd be trying to salvage a used windshield!

On the gas motor crew cab, I've gotten the tire swapped out for a set with good tread, but little else. I found rear leaf springs broken, I'll need to swap those, the exhaust, and windshield before it's ready for the road.

/ Extended Crew Cab- The SuperDuperDuty family hauler #132  
Been wondering about your project... clever removal of the windshield. We had had freezing nights and that enough to keep me out of my basically unheated shop. Can't imagine working temps such as you folks have had.

No progress of note. But things will take turn at the end of July, when the truck I'm currently driving is removed from highway service, and can start donating items needed for progress. For example, the rear doors, needed for proper alignment of the can sections and correct door gap. The front section of frame, and complete drivetrain will also be the foundation of this project.

I have salvaged some materials from work, to make a cab support jig, to hold and align the cab sections, as well as casters to allow moving it around inside the barn.

Hay for this coming winter is done, so aside from working alot, and my boy's new jeep TJ project, this truck should make some progress soon.

/ Extended Crew Cab- The SuperDuperDuty family hauler #135  
Good to hear, I was wondering about this the other day when I saw my '73 pickup with engine out.. I would like to get that project done someday.

/ Extended Crew Cab- The SuperDuperDuty family hauler #136  
Any updates?

Lol... life goes on...

Spent 2 months of any and all free time getting my oldest boys '97 Jeep Wrangler road-ready... fixed body mounts, straightened a bent frame, rattle can paint job, and he's been driving it daily for over a month now.

But the truck? Nothing. Donor truck is waiting to get the rear doors pulled off... gotta get the other gasser crew cab truck road-ready and legal first, been truck-less with 3 in the driveway for 2-1/2 months, driving the ol' '96 Probe GT to work. But soon... somethings gotta happen.

Attachments

• 20180915_192022.jpg
    20180915_192022.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 239
Last edited:
All things being intertwined, I drug the crew cab frame with axles/bed back up to the barn yesterday, to start stripping the frame. (Reference post #79, picture) Mostly because I need the rear axle leaf springs and nearly new dual exhaust from it for the gas motor truck I'm getting road-ready, but also to get it where I can strip it.

Last edited:
In the past few weeks, I've gotten the rear axle, leaf springs, exhaust, and all lines and wiring removed from the frame that will be the rear section of the project truck, and re-installed the leaf springs and exhaust under the gas motor truck. Aside from removing the bed, the frame is stripped. Along with my knee. About 3 weeks ago, during the disassembly process, I twisted my knee, which has made the last 3 weeks less than fun, 12 hour shifts at work where I often walk 5+ miles a day thru the plant have been a challenge. And curbed my enthusiasm for deer season, which came in this week. Fortunately Im off work this week and next, so resting is an option, unless you ask my wife...