need to soundproof my shops metal roof

/ need to soundproof my shops metal roof #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
As I sit here in my shop the sound level is 72 dB in a medium rain. I have a metal roof about 12 ft up.
What is the best way to economically soundproof a metal roof?
Wife wants a metal roof put on a house we own.

/edit - Should have stated it's got 1" of insulation against the roof, installed when the roof was put on, prevent condensation.
And I'm actually more concerned about the roof going on the house.

Last edited:
   / need to soundproof my shops metal roof #2  
I have a metal roof on house and pole barn addition. Very low noise DB during rain which I attribute to insulation. House has metal roof on furring strips, then roofing paper, plywood, insulation, then inside finish. Barn has metal roof on furring strips, insulation, then 17/32" chipboard on inside.

/ need to soundproof my shops metal roof #3  
I have pole barn shop I put a ceiling in at 12' using white metal roofing have not insulated yet but the ceiling made a big difference in noise level !!!! using the metal you can span from truss to truss and no painting

/ need to soundproof my shops metal roof #4  
Cheapest way is probably going to be to install a ceiling and blow in insulation. Better, and more expensive would be to spray on "closed cell" foam. Never use open cell foam on a metal roof, it traps moisture and rusts out the roof.

If you are going with new construction, putting the metal over OSB or plywood makes a difference, but you will also insulate the attic, and reduce most of the sound with that.

/ need to soundproof my shops metal roof #5  
I have metal over OSB in my lean tos on three sides of my shop and I don't notice any loud rain noise. The rest of my shop is sealed and 12" of fiberglass insulation on top so absolutely no noise in that section. I would insulate the ceiling for sure just to reduce heat and cold inside.

Sprayed on insulation is likely the easiest to put on but likely to cost more to do. Even if you just go with a 8" compressed bat between the joist and then seal with your choice of material, ie sheet rock, plywood or other material, you will reduce the noise and conserve energy required to heat or cool the area or just make it livable without additional heating or cooling

/ need to soundproof my shops metal roof #6  
If you put bats of fiberglass insulation between your rafters, but sure to do something about the moisture that will form under the metal. You do not want the insulation trapping or holding moisture. Black mold will love it!!!!

/ need to soundproof my shops metal roof #7  
+1 on the ceiling. Cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter and way, way quieter.

/ need to soundproof my shops metal roof #8  
+1 on the ceiling. Cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter and way, way quieter.

1/2" foam board works fairly well at the riding arena next door.

/ need to soundproof my shops metal roof #9  
As others have said, fiberglass batts or blow will likely be your cheaper option. I would talk to some local spray foam guys to see what's recommend in your area. We spray open cell on metal roofs here without any concerns.

If you end up going blow in, I would not use the cellulose .

/ need to soundproof my shops metal roof #10  
one of the times i enjoy is hanging out in the barn with metal roof and hearing it rain. barn doors open and watching it fall off the roof.