Anyone R&R the electric motor on a HF concrete mixer?

/ Anyone R&R the electric motor on a HF concrete mixer? #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
I plan to use my HF mixer in the near future but I'm not very confident on either the size or longevity of it's electric motor.

Like the title says: Anyone remove and replace the electric motor on their HF concrete mixer?

- Any tips or tricks?
- Anyone know the frame size, HP or RPM of the OEM motor?
- Replace with same HP or go up?
- Replace with same RPM or go lower?

Thanks a bunch!

/ Anyone R&R the electric motor on a HF concrete mixer? #2  
I have an old Montgomery Wards mixer from the 50s. I generally steal motors from old HVAC blowers when it needs a new one.

/ Anyone R&R the electric motor on a HF concrete mixer? #3  
You could dnl the manual from their site - they show two, one's 1-1/4 cu ft the other's 3-1/2 cu ft. Larger one's motor says 1820 rpm, smaller one's 1192 rpm. Gotta LOVE "standardization" :rolleyes: No mention of frame size, etc, looks like a basic slotted mount - Typical HF stuff, no real details.

IME, I'd wait til SOMETHING breaks; might be any # of OTHER under-built parts, including the drive gear... Steve

/ Anyone R&R the electric motor on a HF concrete mixer? #4  
I'd wait until something breads as well - might be cheaper to replace the mixer than repair it.

/ Anyone R&R the electric motor on a HF concrete mixer? #5  
   / Anyone R&R the electric motor on a HF concrete mixer? #6  
I plan to use my HF mixer in the near future but I'm not very confident on either the size or longevity of it's electric motor.

Like the title says: Anyone remove and replace the electric motor on their HF concrete mixer?

- Any tips or tricks?
- Anyone know the frame size, HP or RPM of the OEM motor?
- Replace with same HP or go up?
- Replace with same RPM or go lower?

Thanks a bunch!

Don't know what mixer you have, but I wouldn't worry about it if it is the 3 1/2 cu.ft. one. I had mine and mixed all the mortar for cement blocks for a 30x50' basement, sidewalks of maybe 5 yards of concrete. Mixed a large storm shelter with footings and floor for a garage, maybe 20 +yards of concrete. I never worried about it and is still going strong.
If you do change anything go with the same RPM, same HP. It works great.

/ Anyone R&R the electric motor on a HF concrete mixer? #7  
I would suggest pulling the electric motor, clean it up and oil the bearings with 3 in 1 oil. Write the information down on the data plate so you know what you might need to replace it later.

I did have my small wheel barrow style mixer die in the middle of a pour a few weeks ago. Working by myself I was able to pull the motor and clean it up and oil it. Put it back on and it has worked fine for another three pallets of sacks.

/ Anyone R&R the electric motor on a HF concrete mixer? #8  
Only time I have had any trouble with the motor in mine was when I got in a hurry and pushed the batch sizes, it would overheat trying to start and trip the thermal protection. If I gave it a hand starting, it was fine.

/ Anyone R&R the electric motor on a HF concrete mixer?
Only time I have had any trouble with the motor in mine was when I got in a hurry and pushed the batch sizes, it would overheat trying to start and trip the thermal protection. If I gave it a hand starting, it was fine.

I tried to mix two 80lb bags once. Once. Upon hitting the start button, it fell over, right on the pad I was pouring. 160 lbs of wet concrete plus the weight of the mixer. I had to use my tractor to lift and and ask my wife to drop the FEL because it was out of balance, very tippy.

I only do one bag at a time now. Maybe that will let the motor last longer, dunno.

/ Anyone R&R the electric motor on a HF concrete mixer? #10  
Although My mixer is not a Harbor Freight brand , it is a little bigger than their 3.5 c.f model , I replaced the motor on it with a H.F. motor , ( 1/2 HP General Purpose Electric Motor ) and it still works Great . Just ran 14 80# bags of the redi mix through it this morning . 2 bags at a time , some water first , then 1 bag , allowed to mix , 2nd bag , then add water to get the mix I wanted and dump in bucket of tractor . 3 batches to a tractor bucket , then out into the field and shoveled into a pump house to keep the ground squirrels from digging in .

Mine looks like this : hqdefault.jpg

Brother has the 3.5 c.f. H.F. model that he got in a trade with Our other brother . We have used it a couple of times and I like the way it works with the multiple positions it can be locked in . I don't think you would have any issue's by getting the same motor I used and bolting it on . RPM is almost the same , pulley would likely swap right over and guessing the bolt pattern is also close enough , since they are slotted on the mounting plate .

Fred H.