Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar 424

Default Re: DEMOLITION -- Am I CRAZY to do this??

Quote Originally Posted by two_bit_score View Post
    Probably going to be more work than it seems it would be to demo it. I tore down an old mobile home over a year ago and that thing was a real job.

I think getting it on the ground on its side would be best. Then take a sawsall or chain saw and cut it up. Use pallet forks to load it directly into a trailer to haul it off.

TBS
    Agreed.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar 424

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Put a cable around it as high as you can get it & then drive away with the cable hooked to the tractor. Once on the ground break it up with the loader.
    This is essentially what I think I should do, thanks

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
    Tractor
    John Deere 110 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by VeRV77 View Post
    I have a piece of property I'm cleaning up and it has an old freestanding shed that needs demolishing (see photo). The lower joists and vertical members have rot, and it looks as if it could fall any moment.

How do I do this without killing myself?? Cutting or knocking out any structural members while standing anywhere near the shed seems like a REALLY bad idea. Use of fire is out of the question. A local contractor wanted thousands to do the demo for me, so I'm not going that route either.

MY PLAN SO FAR: Loop a cable through the vertical studs on one side of the shed, near ground level. Run cable through a heavy-duty pulley that is strapped to a large adjacent tree (maybe 20-30 feet away). Attach other end of cable to my tractor and slowly drive forward. The idea is that if the cable snaps from its attachment (either on the tractor or, more likely, on the shed), it will fly toward the pulley/tree and not toward the back of my head. If half the shed is still standing, repeat process on other side. Once it's fully collapsed, Sawzall and sledgehammer for the rest.

I'm not sure how thick a cable I need, but I know I want a significant safety factor. Not even sure this is a good idea. Anybody have any experience with this? Suggestions appreciated.

Attachment 519797
    Do you have a winch?

Chain saw would be quicker than a sawsall if you can avoid nails.

Pulling it over might help break it up a little

Pallet forks to load it in as big pieces as possible.

TBS

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar 424

I don't have a winch. I was actually considering putting one on the front of my tractor for the sort of thing. Never owned a winch before though, not much experience with one.

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
    Tractor
    John Deere 110 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by VeRV77 View Post
    I don't have a winch. I was actually considering putting one on the front of my tractor for the sort of thing. Never owned a winch before though, not much experience with one.

Good opportunity to get a good one and put it on your truck. That tree to the right in the picture would be a good point to pull the building over if you got the chain up high.

TBS

Tractor
    several brands

I've demoed small bld's like that, mobile home too... Pallet forks with a grapple is your friend!

I stab the forks right through the wall, forks aimed up, grapple the piece on the forks and rip it right out! driving over to where you want to dump the piece.

It doesn't take long for me to take the whole bld down... IF it falls over, all the better to grapple loads and drive away with them.

SR

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    4410 and F-935 John Deere, MF 245

If this shed was at my place I would just lift it up on one end and slide the flat deck under. Then I would go to the other end and lift it with the loader and slide it on the trailer. Then off to the neighbours burn hole and push it off into the hole. Done!

It looks like you won't have it quite that easy. Be careful!

Veteran Member
    Olalla WA, Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Not familiar with your tractor size; your pickup may be a better prime mover. I have been involved in a number of demo projects like yours, some bigger. Usually used a tracked unit with 4-1 bucket and crunched it up and loaded in a container. You only need to take siding off on the two sides parallel to the pull direction. Chain saw definitely the tool to use; have a couple spare chains. Small saw will keep chain cost down if you ruin one or more. If I still had my Dodge 1 ton I would get on the side and try to push it over; at least it would determine the structural strength. As recommended before get your cable up high and let the leverage assist.

LOL, Ron

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45SC

Years ago, I had a dilapidated 20' x 40' barn that I managed to collapse by pushing on one corner (diagonally) with my Kioti DK45. The cleanup was a LOT more work than the original demolition. That spot is now my vegetable garden and I am still finding pieces of broken glass, nails and miscellaneous other rusty metal bits. It makes gardening a bit like an archaelogical dig.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota BX25

How much clearance do you have on the right-hand side? Seems to me it would be a piece a cake to just hook a chain over the top plate in about the middle, and then pull it over with a truck or your tractor.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast