Cement Bag Retaining Wall

/ Cement Bag Retaining Wall #1  

Plumber35

Tractor
Kubota
Hey guys,
I read several replies about a cement bag retaining wall and have a question. I'm thinking of using cement bags to form a short wall but have a question. My problem is this: My neighbor has a low area that borders my yard and during heavy rain, his water seeps into our yard. I would like to place a retaining wall made from cement bags but I read somewhere that water will flow between the bags - I need a tight fit as once water gets to my side, it will stay there awhile. I'm looking at a property line that horizontally slopes to its deepest point in the center of the 100 foot property line with water ranging in depth from a few inches to about 12 " at the deepest point, and total length of about 100 feet. Most of the 100 feet is under 6" of water and maybe 15' is from 10" to 12" if this makes any sense. Any suggestions about using cement bags to form a somewhat water proof retaining wall? Thanks,

/ Cement Bag Retaining Wall #2  
only way to stop water migrating is to install an impervious wall like poured concrete. Your bag idea is no better than loose staked blocks of the various types and shapes. Only other option is pile driven steel but that is very expensive unless the water runs deep. Remember too that a solid wall will keep the water on the neighbors side but unless a drainage system is installed at the bottom the hydraulic pressure could push the wall over.

Ron

/ Cement Bag Retaining Wall #3  
If I understand correctly, there is a hollow that collects water when it rains. The hollow straddles the property line. The two ways to deal with a hollow like that are either to fill it or provide a drain. If you're going to fill it, since you can't fill your neighbor's property you'll need a retaining wall. There isn't any practical way to keep water from flowing through that retaining wall, trying is just going to create problems. What I would do is fill behind the retaining wall with gravel or something that will maintain its bearing capacity when saturated with water, and then a few inches of topsoil on top of it.

I would also look into building a drain or trench as an easier solution.

/ Cement Bag Retaining Wall #4  
The idea isn't to make a wall that is water tight. Rather a drain system behind the wall that directs the water where you want it. This is true of any retaining wall- including basements, block walls and your bag wall. As with all walls, the prep work is 90% of it. The last little bit is actually setting the bags.

The typical drainage system consists of a pipe with holes in it, rock and landscape fabric to prevent the rock and pipe from becoming contaminated with soil etc.

/ Cement Bag Retaining Wall
Thank you for all your comments, much appreciated. Ok, the cement bag wall won't work. Since the area that collects water is lower than my surrounding area, there is no way I can create a drain to move the water upwards and away. I was hoping that the cement bags would provide a tighter fit, even thought about making a slit on the sides of each bag so some concrete would escape to create a seal. Since the cement bag doesn't appear to be the solution, then maybe the best bet is to simply bring in about 20 yards of fill dirt and fill the lower area. What about a dirt berm of about 2' wide or so?

/ Cement Bag Retaining Wall #6  
Bring dirt in so it isn't a hollow, or take dirt out so it is an intermittent pond. The dirt removed can be placed around the hole so the pond is smaller than the hollow used to be.

Bruce

/ Cement Bag Retaining Wall #7  
Is there any possible way to let gravity drain the water if you can outlet it? A 1% slope is all that is needed to carry away water efficiently. Short of that, you could always bring fill in, but that water has to go somewhere. Maybe take a 6pack over to your neighbors and have a friendly conversation?

/ Cement Bag Retaining Wall #8  
If that's the lowest area with no drainage possible- I believe they call a dirt berm a dam. Is that what you are after?

/ Cement Bag Retaining Wall #9  
I have to mention that messing with water on another person's property can bring on problems. If you fill or stop the water on your side of the hollow and it causes problems on his side, it usually isn't his problem, but yours. I had a neighbor clear-cut a lot, dig a very deep hole on the back and fill it in with the cuttings. Then he covered the hole. That made the water change course, and for the first time, I had water in the utility room of my house! I went over, had a discussion with him (after I consulted an attorney to find out where I stood) and he agreed to run a new ditch to replace the one he covered. I hauled in about six truckloads of dirt to make a berm to make sure his ditch was deep enough. Point is, be careful, as according to my attorney, he would have been liable for any damage that might have occurred due to his changing the water flow.
David from jax

/ Cement Bag Retaining Wall
Is there any possible way to let gravity drain the water if you can outlet it? A 1% slope is all that is needed to carry away water efficiently. Short of that, you could always bring fill in, but that water has to go somewhere. Maybe take a 6pack over to your neighbors and have a friendly conversation?

Yes, speaking to the neighbor would be the appropriate approach and I have done that and we are on friendly terms. A long story but the water originated from a small wetland area filled in that is located in the middle of neighbor's yard. When the wetland area/hollow was filled, rain water accumulation moved from the middle of his yard towards the property line and some into my yard. Since the area is the lowest part of my yard, there is no way it can gravity drain elsewhere. I can leave alone, build a retaining wall to hold back the water or raise my low area with fill dirt. This is why I was hoping to simply make a retaining wall with cement bags to stop the water from coming to my side. I planned to use one level of bags at the highest point and 3 bags high at the lowest point. There would be only 3 bags high for about 15 feet, about 2 bags high for about 30 feet and the remaining 50 feet at 1 bag. So at this point I definitely would not want to construct a solid concrete wall. My only option appears to be fill dirt or leave alone. I think I may leave alone as I think I would need about 25 yards of fill dirt along with tire ruts on my grass from the dump truck and the work to level the dirt.