Need help - emptying pond

/ Need help - emptying pond #1  

tractorshopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380
After several years of having a pond, I'm now wanting to fill it in and put it back the way it was.

My younger neighbors in the "hood" are having more children and they like to play and roam (which I am perfectly fine with) and I'm just afraid that one day, one of the kids could slip or drown while out playing. Plus, my last ducks have finally left and I don't plan on getting any more of them at this time.

Yesterday, I cut into the dam on my overflow side to the back side. The pond was already about 2' low, so I worked it from the backside of the dam, then broke through on the side to the front from above cutting down to a small channel that probably allowed another 4-5 inches to drain.

I started on the high side to dig the build up to grade and push into the pond, but thought this will probably hurt more than help. I'll just be making a mud ball if I took this approach so stopped almost immediately.

Anyway, I had a hard time trying to get garden hose to start siphoning as the slope on the back side of the dam is very gradual. I think I need to pump the pond dry from here because from this point down is mostly dug out. Then once pumped dry, I can take the dam back down and re-fill and contour back to the basic drainage ditch it originally was before I built the pond.

Basically, I need help with how to empty the pond and any advice about filling it back in, etc. If we get new rain from here, the pond will only stay the same depth it is right now. I'm guessing about 5 to 5.5 more feet that I need to empty.

/ Need help - emptying pond
Our local rental place doesn't have a trash pump, but only a smaller clean water pump they said was good just for pools basically. If not too expensive, I could buy one, but am looking for your recommendations there too.

/ Need help - emptying pond #3  
I'd ask around the neighborhood--Private garbage pumps are not all that uncommon.

/ Need help - emptying pond #4  
Check w/your local equipment rental store.
2" discharge you'll be done before you know it and no headaches.

/ Need help - emptying pond #5  
Check with your local volunteer fire department...for a small donation they may come out and drain your pond for you...classic suction training for department engineers...:)

/ Need help - emptying pond #6  
For a lot less the renting a pump and paying for fuel, I would build a siphon out of 2 inch PVC pipe. You need to put a valve on either end, and a T at the top with another valve. The end in the water only needs to be under water at first, the other end needs to be below the deepest part of the pond. With both valves at the ends closed, open the valve attached to the T at the highest point on top of the dam and start filling it with water. Once full, close the top valve, open the valve in the water and get it as deep as possible. Then open the drain valve.

/ Need help - emptying pond #7  
If you have a submersible sump pump with 1-1/2 discharge hose you could have the 50' hose down hill and start the sump pump. Once it starts pumping it will just keep on siphoning.

/ Need help - emptying pond
Thanks for the suggestions. Hadn't thought about the fire dept at all. I might swing by there and ask them.

Eddie, I thought of doing what you suggest and had read about that here before, but my problem is the length I'd have to run on the other side of the dam. It is a very gradual slope a long way to drop the extra 5-6 feet to get to the bottom of the pond level. Basically, I dug the pond out and built the dam with the spoils at the same time, so a good bit of the pond is under the level of the ground on the back side of the dam. I might have to run over 150' or more on the back side, which is causing me to consider the pump idea.

/ Need help - emptying pond #9  
A two inch pump will empty a pond in an amazingly short time.

I have a good friend that lost his son in a pond accident. The poor lad suffered brain damage and was cared for until he died quite a number of years later. Terrible tragedy. His wife, made him fill in the pond.

/ Need help - emptying pond #10  
A sump pump will empty a swimming pool overnight