Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #1  

screamin400

Platinum Member
Tractor
2016 Mahindra 2538, 2016 Mahindra 2655, 2017 CaseIH 75C, 2021 CaseIH 110c., 2020 Kubota svl 65-2, 2022 Kubota svl 75-2
This summer I put a new driveway in using millings. I did not any diesel to them although many folks told me to. I asked on here and the theory was it would was the asphalt off the stone. My driveway got hard except the very top still was like a fine gravel. I rolled it many many times with my ride on roller. I hated it. Finally I got sick enough of it that a few days ago I took my hand sprayer and sprayed half of my driveway. I then rolled it. Huge difference. Wish I did it earlier in the summer. Theory went out the window due to results. I am not sure I would have mixed it in or not but will be spraying the rest of the driveway tomorrow.

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #2  
Interesting. I wouldn't have expected that to happen. Do you have any pictures? How thick did you go and what did you do for the base under it?

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory
I went 3 inches thick. Base is 12 inch thick put in 10 years ago. No pics right now but probably tomorrow will have some. I am also thinking about putting a little heavier coat of diesel on some and see how I like that.

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #4  
Diesel is a solvent for the asphalt cement. Some of the dissolved asphalt will redeposit on the grindings. The asphalt will be weaker than original. Be careful of heavy solvent application, as you can strip all the asphalt cement
. I would not expect the hard surface to last on the grindings. Please update your findings

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #5  
I would think too much will hurt it but going light will soften it enough to roll it.
I had millings at my last property and now at this one and found with our summer heat it can pack very well.

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #6  
I would think too much will hurt it but going light will soften it enough to roll it.
I had millings at my last property and now at this one and found with our summer heat it can pack very well.
There's a 10 degree difference in "summer heat" between N.E. Florida (average July high 91?) and Lee Center, N.Y (average July high about 80).

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #7  
I recently had the opportunity to drive on a large area (half a football field) covered in millings, and a private road, maybe a half mile. In both cases there were stockpiles of millings alongside.

It was all very lumpy. Lots of fist sized chunks. Is that normal for asphalt millings?

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #8  
Depends on the machine, I would guess some are maintained better than others.
I have found a few larger chunks in both of my loads from different suppliers.
Also found a large carbide Tooth!!

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #9  
People used to spray the beds on dump trucks to aid slipping of the hot mix. Now they will not load you if this is done.

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #10  
People used to spray the beds on dump trucks to aid slipping of the hot mix. Now they will not load you if this is done.
Different strokes, . . . My brother hauls mix and it is required! Every one of the mix trucks has a bracket on them for a pump sprayer of diesel.