Q. Replacing a (very) deep well

/ Q. Replacing a (very) deep well #1  

amashinga

Bronze Member
Hi,

I have a well with the submersible sitting at 480ft that I need to replace. It is currently on galvanised pipe.

The quote that I have for replacing pipe with sched 120, new pump, wire and a stainless cable safety line is around $3800 (Canadian)
The quote that I have for a well company to do it is around $7000

Given that I already have a hoist, cable and snatchblocks that would handle this weight, I could purchase pipe clamps and take this on myself.
I have had some people try to convince me to just pay the seven grand, but ouch. Has anyone had experience pulling a pump from this kind of depth that
can throw their .02 in here ?

Cheers
Bruce

/ Q. Replacing a (very) deep well #2  
Bruce,

There are some specialized tools to pull the riser pipe and pump, like a lifting plug that screws into the top of the pipe and the clamp that sits on the top of the casing to hold the downhole portion once you disconnect the section of pipe you just pulled. Easily fabricated if you have the ability.

It can be done without a workover rig, but I'd say you'd need some experience before you try. It's not that difficult, but the downside of dropping the string down the borehole and have to go "fishing" for it IMHO kind of outweighs the money saved. $4,0000, even at Canadian rates is pretty steep for what is essentially a day's worth of labor for two guys. I'm going to assume you've shopped this around?

FB

/ Q. Replacing a (very) deep well #3  
I have a 600' well and considered the same about 2 years ago. I have the added fear/precaution/craziness of being somewhat of a preper.
Given the weight, risk and hard costs involved I decided to just have it done.
I found a lift type device that hooks on the well head that will pull the pipe out with friction and some wheels. I also researched the 20' tower needed to hold the pipe up as it comes out. The last need is the clamps that would prevent catastrophic consequences if the pipe and pump were to slip or drop.
By the time I had all those tools I into it for way more than paying someone to do it. Then throw in the pump sizing etc and it was far easier to just pay someone.
If I recall the labor and equipment (truck, crane etc) was about $1000US on top of the price of pipe, pump, wire, pitless and misc parts.

Btw- that is over #1000 of weight- 1" steel pipe is #800 plus the water in the pipe, pump, check valves and wire. Depending on the standing water depth it may not "feel" that heavy.

/ Q. Replacing a (very) deep well #6  
I have a 600' well and considered the same about 2 years ago. I have the added fear/precaution/craziness of being somewhat of a preper.
Given the weight, risk and hard costs involved I decided to just have it done.
I found a lift type device that hooks on the well head that will pull the pipe out with friction and some wheels. I also researched the 20' tower needed to hold the pipe up as it comes out. The last need is the clamps that would prevent catastrophic consequences if the pipe and pump were to slip or drop.
By the time I had all those tools I into it for way more than paying someone to do it. Then throw in the pump sizing etc and it was far easier to just pay someone.
If I recall the labor and equipment (truck, crane etc) was about $1000US on top of the price of pipe, pump, wire, pitless and misc parts.

Btw- that is over #1000 of weight- 1" steel pipe is #800 plus the water in the pipe, pump, check valves and wire. Depending on the standing water depth it may not "feel" that heavy.

I also found huge price differences between well companies and guys that just do pump replacement. Get some bids. In the US their are only 2 major pump manufactures and both have solid reputations- Ford vs Chevy

/ Q. Replacing a (very) deep well #7  
I pull them from about 300 feet when I work on them, just do not drop the pipe or the fishing job will cost one plenty,

I like pipe elevators, I use two of them as they work as a safety just in case the pipe would slip a bit, or the dog clamps on a section of ovaled pipe, it has been some time but I usually back it down to just a few inches between the dog and the elevator clamp.
PL125 1-1/4" Water Well Pump Drop Pipe Elevator | Berkeley Pumps and Parts

and like like this kind of pipe dog, K1 - Pipe Holder 1" - 2" , PVC, SS, Galvanized | Berkeley Pumps and Parts

there are other places to buy this stuff, but I posted the Dean Benite site for example and my experience with them in the past has been good, Submersible Pump Installation Tools - Dean Bennett Supply

is there a reason you're replacing the galvanized pipe? many times all that is rough is the drop pipe that is in the water column, and many times that can be swapped with some of the top pipe or replace the bad sections, the well pipe I have dealt with is in either 18 foot or 21 foot sections,

if you do pull it your self, when the wire comes out lay it out in a nice zig zag so it will not catch on things and in such a way if you would lose the drop pipe you will not get entangled in it as it sucked back into the well,

If your replacing pipe pump and wire and new safety cable,

your pump (if 19 gallon a min) is in the $700 to a $1000 control box another $200

new wire, depending on length and distance form power, $2 to $3 a foot you close to 500 feet, $1000 to $1500,

# 80 pvc pipe $3 to $3.70 a foot, another $1500

quick costs
pump @$1000 to 1200
wire @ $1000 to 1500
pipe @ 1500 to 1800
my guess cable $200

so my guess is using dean bennetts prices, $3700 to $4500 in raw parts, and may be another thousand on tools. you will need some good 24" pipe wrenches, may need 36" depending on how long it been down and how old it is, and what type of dope was used, you will need two wrenches of the size selected, (elevators, about $300, pipe dog about $400, wrenches about 80 to 100 each, (and even tho it works the "Ranches pipe dog" is not that great, and so the pipe lifter, it works but I do not like them had to use and not that secure IMO). Ridgid pipe wrenches off Ebay most likely OK doubt if you will find the dogs or the elevators used on ebay and if you do not know if it is all in good working and complete I would buy new for the well, not a place to take a chance.

I know 25 years ago it was costing me over $1000 to have a new pump put down and new wire, and they alway come up with more, but last time about 25 years ago it came to over $1200, I am sure if no pipe was replaced it would be cost me $2500 to day,

call the dean bennett supply and talk to them what they would suggest to you,

you may have to get some more info pump HP and well production, current wire size, and so on,

most like you will need to have at least 25 feet of lift, to pull it out and I would sugest 30' so manage the pipes as they come out,

my two cents,

/ Q. Replacing a (very) deep well #8  
Hi,

I have a well with the submersible sitting at 480ft that I need to replace. It is currently on galvanised pipe.

The quote that I have for replacing pipe with sched 120, new pump, wire and a stainless cable safety line is around $3800 (Canadian)
The quote that I have for a well company to do it is around $7000

Given that I already have a hoist, cable and snatchblocks that would handle this weight, I could purchase pipe clamps and take this on myself.
I have had some people try to convince me to just pay the seven grand, but ouch. Has anyone had experience pulling a pump from this kind of depth that
can throw their .02 in here ?

Cheers
Bruce

Please pay someone to have this work done.

Here are the risks:

1. Drop the tubing and pump and injure yourself or your assistants
2. Drop it and damage your equipment
3. Drop it and cause it to be required to be fished out of the well
4. If it can't be fished, tubing and pump can be drilled up - expensive - or a new well can be drilled - very expensive.

Also, it probably seems simple to just pull and replace, but it is essential to do it properly. Nick the wire on the casing and you must re-pull and repair. Fail to tighten joints properly and you could have a leak or worse.

I've pulled hundreds as I grew up in the business. Also had to fish out several when DIY'ers tried and failed. Even drilled up a few - that was hard on equipment and expensive.

I'm as thrifty as they come. I have lots of cool equipment in my barn. I have the knowledge of how to do it right. But, I'd still never pull it myself.

Call the most knowledgeable, highly recommended guy in the area and have him do it. Money well spent.

/ Q. Replacing a (very) deep well #9  

Larry, Darryl and the other brother Darryl!

I had to have galvanized pipe replaced because pinhole leaks began and the pump kept running. At the time the plumber used one piece of plastic instead of gluing or threading joints. Not sure of your plans but the fewer joints the better.

I will try a lot of things, but I would be hesitant on that job.

/ Q. Replacing a (very) deep well #10  

For the life of me, I can't figure out what's going on in the video. At first I thought it was an artesian zone they drilled into, then I thought they were trying to "jet" the casing in and the muddy water was the returns.

I had a similar thing happen drilling some monitoring wells in S. Illinois. The drillers had turned the formation (loess) into a rather thick drilling mud just by spinning the augers. We could not make the PVC casing stay in the hole, the difference in specific gravities was just too much and the casing kept rising up. Even filling the casing with water didn't work. We finally put drilling rod into the casing to hold it in place while we placed the filter pack and grout seal. It was a muddy mess when we were all done.