Anyone familiar with m-274 Army Mule?

/ Anyone familiar with m-274 Army Mule? #1  

Boeing

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3010
I visited a friend last week who had bought an old M-274 Army MULE. It's a 4X4, single seat but I see "possibilities" (That usually means a place to throw lots of money)
Anyone know anything about them and advise me to go for it or avoid it. I'm picturing a co-pilot seat, rubber mat bed, tie down net and go thru my woods carrying deer stands, firewood and just playing. There is a four wheel STEERABLE option available which would make the turn radius alot tighter, but could that make upkeep/maint alot more difficult and expensive? I don't want more headaches?
Someone....anyone have experience with these things? Thanks

Attachments

• Larry's MULE.png
    Larry's MULE.png
    915.8 KB · Views: 662
   / Anyone familiar with m-274 Army Mule? #2  
The Army got rid of them almost 40 years ago. So good luck on finding parts. This was a unique vehicle that probably had no commercial equivalent. In other words, you are on your own.

Bill

/ Anyone familiar with m-274 Army Mule? #3  
Looks neat to me! Did a quick search on Ebay and there seems to be some asst. parts out there. More than I expected. I would think you could make a handy vehicle out of it.

/ Anyone familiar with m-274 Army Mule? #5  
I visited a friend last week who had bought an old M-274 Army MULE. It's a 4X4, single seat but I see "possibilities" (That usually means a place to throw lots of money)
Anyone know anything about them and advise me to go for it or avoid it. I'm picturing a co-pilot seat, rubber mat bed, tie down net and go thru my woods carrying deer stands, firewood and just playing. There is a four wheel STEERABLE option available which would make the turn radius alot tighter, but could that make upkeep/maint alot more difficult and expensive? I don't want more headaches?
Someone....anyone have experience with these things? Thanks

Looks like it does indeed have many opportunities but hard to say without many more pictures. :D

Would like to see more pics if you have them.

/ Anyone familiar with m-274 Army Mule? #6  
We had one for a while in the motor pool and I took it out to mess around. It was really fun to drive off road and would go anywhere. I remember driving it up a stairway and over all kinds of rough ground.

Now, I'd love to have one for moving stuff around my place. A self propelled wagon.

/ Anyone familiar with m-274 Army Mule? #7  
If I'm not mistaken they have a locked differential on both ends. In any case the turning radius of the 2 wheel steer one sucks. I know it'll go through a heck of a mud hole on slick tires. With good tires it would be unstoppable.

/ Anyone familiar with m-274 Army Mule? #8  
Looks neat to me! Did a quick search on Ebay and there seems to be some asst. parts out there. More than I expected. I would think you could make a handy vehicle out of it.

Widely known as the Mule, this vehicle痴 official name was 溺274 Truck, Platform, Utility, 1/2 ton. But its versatile abilities, yet plain appearance certainly made its Mechanical Mule name appropriate. Four different companies produced six different varieties of Mule between 1956 and 1970. All M274 vehicles had four-wheel drive and the first five varieties could be driver-selected to be regular two-wheel steer or put into a four-wheel steer mode. However, the top speed of the Mule was only about 15 mph.

Two different versions of air-cooled engines, both rear-mounted, were used over the years to power the Mules. The engines were pull-started on the first five models with a rope. The first two models (M274 and M274A1) used the Willys A04-53 four-cylinder engine. All subsequent models used the A042 Military Standard two-cylinder engine, which on the final version, the M274A5, was finally equipped with an electric start. The retrofitting of A0-42 engines into earlier M274 and M274A1 vehicles created the M274A3 and the M274A4 respectively. The Mule was widely used by the Army and Marines in Vietnam.

The first five versions were made of magnesium; the last type (M274A5) was made of aluminum. The M274 had twice the cargo-hauling ability of a Jeep.

Weight: 900 pounds
Size (LxWxH): 119 x 49 x 49
Max Speed: 15 mph
Range: 100 miles

Condition code Value (dollars)
6 2,000
5 2,750
4 4,000
3 5,750
2 8,500
1 9,750

Scarcity: 3

A given a value based on a 1-to-6 condition grading scale as follows:

1=Excellent: Restored to maximum professional standards, or a near-perfect original.

2=Fine: Well-restored, or a combination of superior restoration and excellent original parts.

3=Very Good: Complete and operable original or older restoration, or a very good amateur restoration with all presentable and serviceable parts inside and out.

4=Good: Functional or needing only minor work to be functional. Also, a deteriorated restoration or poor amateur restoration.

5=Restorable: Needs complete restoration of body, chassis, and interior. May or may not be running, but is not wrecked, weathered or stripped to the point of being useful only for parts.

6=Parts Vehicle: Deteriorated beyond the point of restoration.

/ Anyone familiar with m-274 Army Mule?
Thanks guys. I'm really interested in the Mule as an alternative to an ATV. I am concerned with things like the TRANSMISSION, the ENGINE, the front/rear DIFFerentials etc.
Thanks for the links to the parts sites and the history/value of the machines. If anyone actually worked on these things I sure would love to hear about any "weak links" that would give me grief. The unit that my friend has is a TWO wheel steer and DID take a HUGE radius in the turns. For that reason the FOUR wheel steer is the only one that I would consider. I'm an old guy so I am not looking to "leap" over stumps or cross raging streams. I would putt around thru the woods, up and down my hill and logging trains. I do that with my tractor now but it is bigger and I think it could roll much easier. Thanks again for any inputs

/ Anyone familiar with m-274 Army Mule? #10  
I've read a little about them and for short distances, they where great, but there where to many limitations on what they could do, so they where removed from service. The jeep pretty much took over for awhile, then they went to the HUMVEE platform for everything and during the Afghanistan war realized a need for something like this. I don't all the details, but read that the John Deere Gator without a suspension became the work horse used to get small amounts of materials over very rough terrain. I have no idea what they use today, but for my land, I went with a Kawasaki Trans Mule that has been amazing. The dump bed on it was used a dozen times yesterday just cleaning up the shoreline around my gazebo. It's getting used again for the same thing today. It's the ultimate wheelbarrow!!!