Ideas for a scrub room

/ Ideas for a scrub room #1  

quicksandfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma 354, purchased 2007
In my basement there is a room that originally was a darkroom, it's about 4x6 and has a sink. I've been using it as a place to wash up when I come in from working, everyone is happier if I clean up before going into the finished part of the house. I'm looking for ideas from the brain trust here on how to accessorize it. Right now it just has a bar-sized sink, which I want to replace, and I've added a mirror, towel bar, paper towel holder and Goop dispenser. I'd like ideas on the best sink and faucet type for washing up, and I'd like to put a counter down one wall if I can figure out something reasonably cheap and simple. Plus whatever you guys think should go in such a room.

Thanks.

/ Ideas for a scrub room #2  
Is there a floor drain? If so, and if it were me, I would put in a shower with detachable hand wand. I love taking hot showers. Also convenient for washing out oversized things especially in the winter time. Sounds like you at least need a larger fiberglass 'laundry' basin.

/ Ideas for a scrub room #3  
I take my boots off- so a seat is a good idea. I also have "slides" which are basically flip flops that can be worn with socks.

If I'm really dirty I take my pants and shirt off too. That's easy in my house since it's just the wife and I (plus I'm good looking). If that's not possible plan a few shelves to hold some sweats or something else to wear to get you to the shower.

/ Ideas for a scrub room #4  
A mop sink, deep sink, slop sink (pick your poison on what its called) is great, I have one in my shop and you can get your arms down in it easily to wash all the way up to the elbow, which for me is frequently needed.

/ Ideas for a scrub room #5  
anything your wife wants

/ Ideas for a scrub room #6  
We put our old kitchen sink (deep single well, top mount cast iron) in the main floor bath/laundry room, and most people don't even notice that it's not a regular lavatory sink until you point it out, and it is big enough to wash clothes and process vegetables and such. High neck faucet to be able to fill buckets, and a sprayer hose. Much much better than the little round lavatory sink that was there before, and not as flimsy or unattractive as one of those plastic laundry sinks.

I did have to mount the lavatory cabinet an extra 1-1/2" from the wall, since it is so big front-to-back.

/ Ideas for a scrub room #7  
Deep sink and tall faucet to get everything from elbows to fingertips below. Also, allow for a head dunk if you get really dusty. Small stiff bristle scrub brush for fingernail grease. If you have a drain, an elevated and perforated mat to stand upon so water will drain away.

Specific cabinet for 'towels not used by others in the house' so you don't have to worry about missing a grease spot and your wife finding the fact on her new bath towels. Then go to Sam's or Costco and get 4 towels of a completely different DARK color than everything else in the house, so there will never be a mix up and you will always have something when you need it.

/ Ideas for a scrub room
Deep sink and tall faucet to get everything from elbows to fingertips below. Also, allow for a head dunk if you get really dusty. Small stiff bristle scrub brush for fingernail grease. If you have a drain, an elevated and perforated mat to stand upon so water will drain away.

All good ideas.

Specific cabinet for 'towels not used by others in the house' so you don't have to worry about missing a grease spot and your wife finding the fact on her new bath towels. Then go to Sam's or Costco and get 4 towels of a completely different DARK color than everything else in the house, so there will never be a mix up and you will always have something when you need it.

I did that, I got a set of towels and facecloths at Target for just such a purpose. Now the problem is whenever my wife needs a rag for a really dirty job she goes in looks in the scrub room! She used my facecloth to clean the chimney! Then put it back!

/ Ideas for a scrub room #9  
With the deep sink get a quality spray faucet that can extend. So you can bend over the sink and spray your head or more importantly your eyes. Just a small splash of the wrong stuff can really hurt your eyes and often a quick rinse solves the problem.

And plenty of brushes to get mud off your boots.

And if you like to drink anything besides tapwater arrange for some type of liquid refreshment container. I like a minifridge with lemonaide and unsweetened tea. Some would put in a beer tap. Which I would have thirty years ago.

/ Ideas for a scrub room
With the deep sink get a quality spray faucet that can extend. So you can bend over the sink and spray your head or more importantly your eyes. Just a small splash of the wrong stuff can really hurt your eyes and often a quick rinse solves the problem.

Thinking about this, most sink sprayers drive me crazy because the spray is so feeble. What I really want is a hand-held shower (like from a bathtub). I'm trying to think of a way to plumb it up so it doesn't look all Rube Goldberg.

Definitely want a single lever faucet so I can turn it on with an elbow in a pinch.