Is It Too Late To Plant???

/ Is It Too Late To Plant??? #1  

TBAR

Gold Member
Tractor
IH2444 & 1949 Farmall Cub
Just put in 8hrs yesterday finishing plowing under and leveling 8 acres of unimproved ground(hasn't been worked in 25yrs). Would like to work it some more before planting but it is getting late in the year here in Texas.

I want to plant some blackeyed peas mostly to draw in the hogs and deer but also to plow under and condition the soil.

What do ya'll think? Is it too late?

TBAR

/ Is It Too Late To Plant??? #2  
It's not too late in N Louisiana. Don't know about where you are in TX.

/ Is It Too Late To Plant??? #3  
Not too late here, in fact I'll be planting almost everything this week. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve

/ Is It Too Late To Plant??? #4  
I doubt it, we plant some things clean up to Oct. Many things are resown after harvest. When do you normally get a frost?

/ Is It Too Late To Plant???
It is the Texas heat and dry weather of summer that I have to beat. There won't be any irragation available in this field.

TBAR

/ Is It Too Late To Plant??? #6  
Man it's been a pretty wet year and forcast is for more rain in central tx. I'd say plant away. The seed is fairly cheap and even if they don't make pods for some reason, the deer will still like the plants and you'll still be able to plow them in.

/ Is It Too Late To Plant??? #7  
i'm way up here in me.!!!!!!!!and here's a pic of the project that got started last year that isn't even close to being done !!!and thats where i've got to plant!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 436944-113_1325_1.JPG
    436944-113_1325_1.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 278
   / Is It Too Late To Plant??? #8  
What does 'Draw in the hogs' mean?

/ Is It Too Late To Plant??? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What does 'Draw in the hogs' mean? )</font>

He said "hogs and deer" so he must be a hunter. I'm not sure where in Texas he is, but we have an abundant supply of feral hogs in many areas.

/ Is It Too Late To Plant???
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What does 'Draw in the hogs' mean?
)</font>

We have a gross over abundance of wild feral hogs down here. They are very destructive to fields and fences. I have almost been tossed from the tractor seat when a tire falls into one of these holes. Two years ago one of my fields look like the Army had had artilery practice on it. They are trapped and hunted in an effort to control their numbers but the hogs bread prolifically.

TBAR