To insulate or not

/ To insulate or not #1  

eyi

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
Hi all,

My new 28X32 garage dream is progressing...

I am wondering what you guys think about insulating it or not. I live in a Canada region where we have long winters !

Anyone wanting to share its thoughts would be much appreciated. So far I'am leaning toward insulating the place and heating it once in a while with a good wood stove. Comfort is an issue but I' m telling myself that this would also protect my cement slab should I control the frost bite.

I'm also thinking about installing an electric device in case of...

Thanks

/ To insulate or not #2  
I think unless you are using the new building for long term storage only, I would insulate it well. It will improve the versatility of the building and the ways you can use it over the years to come.

/ To insulate or not #3  
Of course insulate it.I live not too far away in Northern N.Y.,makes the garage a lot more useful.Mine is 24'x36' and heat it with a propane 50,000 btu heater.Another benefit is that it will stay cooler in the summer if you keep it closed up.
Sure is nice in the winter to pull an iced up vehicle in the garage and get all the snow and ice off.

/ To insulate or not #5  
I vote to insulate, and to do it well. Not the 1" styrofoam. But actual insulation like a house. Fiberglass is cheap. And a building that size, insulated well.....a small stove is all you need

/ To insulate or not #6  
Definitely insulate my shop is 24 x 42 heated with a small stove non insulated cement slab and after 3 days of -10 after the stove goes out the temp. has never gone below 9 C. To avoid freezing finishes I have a 4' baseboard for when I'm away any length of time set at 40 F & it's done the job for 25 years so far.

/ To insulate or not #7  
Keep in mind mice love insulation. I would put up with the cold before the smell of miceville. Just say'un you should think of mice on your decision of insulation type and wall design.

/ To insulate or not
Hum...it looks like we gonna insulate it !

Tks for the heads up about mice. I hate those things.

Thanks

/ To insulate or not #9  
Insulation will prevent condensation on the interior and its accompanying problem of mold. But, the vapor barrier must be complete and installed correctly.

Ron
VERY IMPORTANT!
In my big shed it used to rain INSIDE due to condensation on the roof.
Hum...it looks like we gonna insulate it !

Tks for the heads up about mice. I hate those things.

Thanks
Get snakes!

/ To insulate or not #10  
Yes for insulation but do nor forget vapor barrier on inside.
And more insulation on ceiling than walls. + barrier.
also tape all barrier joints.