Advice on a shed/storage building to store tractor, mower, tools

/ Advice on a shed/storage building to store tractor, mower, tools #1  

Tangoddess

Bronze Member
Tractor
None yet
Hello,

It looks like the Father in Law and family want a shed/storage building to store the tractor, zero turn mower, UTV, and tools. etc.

We have a small acreage property, so do have some space to utilize.

I was told he wants a shed two stories high, and that it should be prefab?

I guess these are bigger than the tuff shed, big box sheds, more like a bigger structure with a door, some windows etc.

Does anyone know where we can even begin looking? What are these things called? What is a good size to store all of this?

Should it be galvanized aluminium?

Sorry for the ignorance, I am more of an inner city girl.

We are in Texas, north of Houston.

Thank you!!

/ Advice on a shed/storage building to store tractor, mower, tools #2  
Two story and something to house all that stuff isn’t typically referred to as a shed. It’s typically called a shop or barn. Something that size should have a foundation or at least posts that go into the ground. They make prefab steel buildings that a local contractor can deliver and or install. These things can be had on eBay or other online sources if you wanted to erect it yourself.
The other option is a pole barn. These aren’t technically prefab but they are fast and relatively cheap to build. They sink wood “poles” in the ground and use that as the structural members for the roof and walls.
Beyond those two options it’s the typical “conventional” framing with 2x wood framed walls and trusses for the roof.

A typical 2 car garage is 20’x20’ or 400sf. If the tractor is car or truck size then you could pack everything into a 400sf. But given all the toys 20’x30’ would be better.

Galvanized aluminum is an option but North or Huston is fairly dry so any of the steel siding and structural members should work- structure is primered and the siding and roof has a backed on paint finish- one of the main brands is Kynar.

So google “metal shops” or barns for metal buildings as those typically cover a large portion of the USA. Or google something like “pole barn contractor near me” for the pole barn.

Good luck,

/ Advice on a shed/storage building to store tractor, mower, tools #3  
   / Advice on a shed/storage building to store tractor, mower, tools
thank you!! @two_bit_score and @rnuemann

I guess the correct word is shop or barn!! finally, I was not sure what to call it

We will check out mortons, those are the sort of structures we are looking for.

Approximately how much do these Morton structures run, lets say 20 by 30?

which are some other reputed online sources in case we want to shop around?

thank you!!

/ Advice on a shed/storage building to store tractor, mower, tools #6  
I’m not 100% on prices there, but $40/sf should get you in the ballpark for cost. Remember you will need a driveway, a permit, maybe electrical, concrete slab (maybe) and installation. All these add up to way more than the cost of the metal or wood parts themselves.

thank you @rnuemann @two_bit_score is the approximately $40/sf inclusive of installation? I presume the concrete slab will be extra? or is that also factored in to the $40/sf price?

My family wants it about two stories high (they do not need stairs, they just want a high roof) so how tall is that usually?

Thank you very much

/ Advice on a shed/storage building to store tractor, mower, tools #8  
Height is dependent on your equipment and how you use it. In my experience, a shop with less than a 10 foot ceiling is a pain, and 12 feet is better. If a large boat or motor home is in the future, 14 or 16 feet might be the right choice. Keep in mind that the door height will be limited to 1 foot less than the ceiling height. Compact tractors with ROPs range from a little over 7 feet to almost 9 feet, if I remember correctly. If you want a usable loft for storage in part of the building, 14 feet is probably the absolute minimum.

Thank you

we don't have the luxury of a boat or a mobile home in the future, so I guess maybe 12-14 feet?

what material(s) are recommended?

any upgrades we can get that you recommend, e.g. thicker material etc?

/ Advice on a shed/storage building to store tractor, mower, tools #10  
thank you @rnuemann @two_bit_score is the approximately $40/sf inclusive of installation? I presume the concrete slab will be extra? or is that also factored in to the $40/sf price?

My family wants it about two stories high (they do not need stairs, they just want a high roof) so how tall is that usually?

Thank you very much

The $40/sf would include concrete.....as a rough starting point. Call local contractors for actual figures.

RVs come in a few different heights (excluding the outliers) under 10', under 12' and under 14'. Go to an RV lot and look and ask. I've got a 12' garage door on my current shop as my property (and our needs) would really prevent the larger RV with the driveway layout etc. Remember the interior ceiling will need to be at least a foot plus higher than the garage/roll-up door.

To directly answer your question- a typical residential "story" is 9' and a typical commercial "story" is 10'. So a two story is 18-20' plus the roof pitch- the steeper the roof the taller the building.