How far can I run a water line?

/ How far can I run a water line? #41  
Friction loss for the run to the hydrant will be less with the larger pipe size. Even if your feed point uses 3/4" pipe you can benefit by using a larger diameter pipe for the long run. A agree with others that a 1" or 1 1/4" line might add some other benefits but whether it is necessary depends on your use and changes in use later on.

Most all of the pressure tanks I install have 1 1/4" between the pump and tank. When I installed the feed for my sprinkler system I ran a large loop of 1 1/4" pvc sch40 pipe to the manifold boxes around my property. At 15 gallons/minute flow rate the pressure drop was minor (about 8 psi.) compared to the old line which was 3/4" feed with less flow and lower pressure (about 25 psi loss)at the end of the runs. The sprinklers went from missing spots to overlapping enough that I was able to reduce the pump pressure from 70 psi to 60 psi and still do a better job.

I would suggest you look at the flow rates and friction losses in the charts provided above to decide what works for you. The pressure losses for the elevation changes should not be affected regardless of the pipe size. I use the same as posted earlier, .434 lbs./foot to calculate these losses.

For my work with pipelines that are gravity fed, elevation changes and friction losses can be very noticeable. Here is a picture of a 12" line I installed last year and the flow through one of the valves..

Is that buried or just laying on top of the ground? I am used to water pipe being below frost line. Laying pipe like this would be easy.

/ How far can I run a water line? #42  
Is that buried or just laying on top of the ground? I am used to water pipe being below frost line. Laying pipe like this would be easy.

The pipes are below the frost line with 36 inches of cover typical. We dig the trenches 48" deep with a 36" wide bucket so it goes pretty quick. Laying the pipe is easy as I can lay about 500' to 600' with 12 tees in a day by myself with the JD110.