Running a water line outside above ground

/ Running a water line outside above ground #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
Hi all. I need to run an underground water line, and there's a part I'm not sure about. Where the water will come out of my house is above ground level. I have a walkout basement, and the only part that's underground isn't really accessible for running water lines outside. I can run the water line down the wall inside the basement, but even if I go out right at the concrete floor level inside, it'll still be above ground outside. Do I need to worry about freezing, and if so, what can I do about it? And what material should I use for the part of the pipe that passes through the foundation wall and then goes into the ground? Here's a drawing of what I'm talking about.

Waterline.png

/ Running a water line outside above ground #2  
If your drawing is accurate I would dig under the floor from the outside then drill a hole thru the floor from inside the basement. This would put all your waterline underground and minimize chances of freezing.

Not being familiar with PA, it does get cold enough outside to freeze there right? If so I would avoid an exposed line.

/ Running a water line outside above ground #3  
Can you do some landscaping and pile soil over where the pipe comes through the wall? Layer some styrofoam sheets within the soil you pile over that area.

If the footer isnt too deep, could you dig under it and run teh line through the basement floor?

There may be some freezing/thawing movement of the soil around the pipe, so if you have just one bathroom, I would run 1" pex into the house through a 1"1/4" PVC sleeve pipe that was grouted into the cement wall. Use some silicone caulk to seal between the pex and PVC sleeve.

I rented a concrete core drill last year and drilled through my solid concrete basement wall last year. I took a 30 second break every 2 minutes- the vibration was pretty intense. I was able to break through in less than 20 min.

/ Running a water line outside above ground #4  
You can rent a HD hammer drill motor and coring bit and bore down through the slab..
FWIW I just did one today, buried 300' of water line and bored through 4" of slab in the existing well house...took about 20 minutes to bore a 3" hole down through the floor...

/ Running a water line outside above ground #5  
You could build a box around it and insulate it and put say a light bulb in it to heat it. BUT IMHO you are asking for issues unless you bury it below the frost line. Drill through the floor and bore under the footer.

/ Running a water line outside above ground #6  
Hi all. I need to run an underground water line, and there's a part I'm not sure about. Where the water will come out of my house is above ground level. I have a walkout basement, and the only part that's underground isn't really accessible for running water lines outside. I can run the water line down the wall inside the basement, but even if I go out right at the concrete floor level inside, it'll still be above ground outside. Do I need to worry about freezing, and if so, what can I do about it? And what material should I use for the part of the pipe that passes through the foundation wall and then goes into the ground? Here's a drawing of what I'm talking about.

View attachment 527524
Dimensions matter.
A. From the Cu pipe to the outside of the block wall is how far? 8"?
B. From the right angle to the ground level is how far? < A?
C. From ground level to water line is how far? 4 feet?
D. How big is the pipe?

What will be the flow in the pipe? Constant? Occasional?

Running water doesn't freeze easily.

Unless you are far enough south that they don't know what a snow shovel is you should always worry about freezing.

PEX pipe would be good BUT YOU HAVE TO COVER IT from the sun.

If B is less than say 2 feet but over 4" I suggest building a small shelter that would cover the pipe but be open on the wall side. Perhaps cut a section of solid corrugated drain pipe slightly longer than B, split it lengthwise, spread it open around the PEX using some pieces of wood to keep the split open, fill it w/ fiberglass insulation, then glue it up against the wall and cap it at the top.

If B is 4" or less you could probably get by with just a section of pipe insulation wrapped around it and dirt piled up on it.

Also heat tape works wonders but requires electricity.

Definitely put a turn off inside where it's easy to reach.

/ Running a water line outside above ground #7  
Recently at hardware store showed me it was either 3 or 4 inch pvc with a 3R insulation value to it. Not enough so solve your need but think you could make spacers to keep your pipe in the center of it and then insulated the pipe either with a spray in foam or a the insulation that is make to pour into voids. Been years since I used it but it will pour through a small hole, both where you want it and also pour out where you want it. Still very good insulation only prevents or slows heat loss, if no heat or little heat it will get to the freezing point with insulation only. Would recommend heat tape over say a light bulb but you do know the light bulb is working.

/ Running a water line outside above ground #8  
I think you're setting yourself up for failure unless it never freezes there or at least only briefly.

/ Running a water line outside above ground #9  
What is it going to? Something seasonal? Whatever you do make sure there is a shut off and drain system. I have something like that going to my shop but I need to blow it out and run RV antifreeze through it every fall in November and that is in Tennessee. Mine is buried a few inches because I didn't feel like digging through rock.

/ Running a water line outside above ground #10  
Not being familiar with PA, it does get cold enough outside to freeze there right? If so I would avoid an exposed line.
Yes.
The past couple of winters have been pretty mild, but 3 or 4 winters ago we had temperatures as low as -15*- 20* below zero for several days.
My water lines are buried 40" deep to prevent freezing. (Western, Pa.)