Possibly stupid question about small concrete slab work

/ Possibly stupid question about small concrete slab work #1  

SammyNole

Tractor
Kioti CK4010HST
I just read a couple posts about portable cement/concrete mixers in the "Build It Yourself" section, and they got me thinking.

I currently have a need to do at least one 4" concrete slab, and maybe up to three different slabs for various projects around the house, ranging from 144 sq. ft. to 300 sq. ft., but I have delayed them because of the cost associated with having someone come out to pour my slabs. Of course I would rather Do It Myself! But every time I look into the Quikrete calculator (or similar tool), it shows a range of 81 and 169 80-pound bags required to do these sizes of slabs. That seems pretty ridiculous to me to even attempt to do with a small mixer from Lowe's (4 cu.ft.), or even the PTO mounted mixers from Agri Supply (8 cu. ft.).

I am by no means a builder, and have never poured anything other than a few 2'x2' slab/piers, especially nothing that may require rebar/reinforcing etc. Are these jobs doable as a DIY'er with a basic mixer and hand tools, or am I going to bite WAY more than I can chew to attempt to save some money? They don't have to be anything impressive at all, just basically a hard surface(s) to put stuff on, including my 40hp Kioti and some implements.

If anyone has any tips, books, websites, or videos to point me towards, that would be awesome, too!

Any help is appreciated!

/ Possibly stupid question about small concrete slab work #2  
I did a 12 X 16 X 4 inch thick slab with a PTO mixer. I did it that way because the site was 1/2 mile from the road through rugged terrain. I had four helpers and it was an easy five hours. If my pour site were easily accessible by mixer trucks, I'd just have it delivered and poured. I think you will find that a truck is as cheap as the 80 lbs bags.

/ Possibly stupid question about small concrete slab work #3  
Pouring a 100 square foot and larger slab require's 3 people,if you know what you are doing. Depending on physical condition of labor,5 people isn't too many. Throw in hot weather and bright sun and you can't have too much help. If you are in an area where you can barter your labor to a contractor for one of his experienced employees and some tools for your job,that would assure getting it right. You will learn how it's done plus have an experienced person on first slab. After that you will be good to go. I don't think you can buy bags of pre-mix for what you can have it delivered for. Another advantage in having it delivered is not having to build and move temporary forms.

/ Possibly stupid question about small concrete slab work #4  
Pouring a 100 square foot and larger slab require's 3 people,if you know what you are doing. Depending on physical condition of labor,5 people isn't too many. Throw in hot weather and bright sun and you can't have too much help. If you are in an area where you can barter your labor to a contractor for one of his experienced employees and some tools for your job,that would assure getting it right. You will learn how it's done plus have an experienced person on first slab. After that you will be good to go. I don't think you can buy bags of pre-mix for what you can have it delivered for. Another advantage in having it delivered is not having to build and move temporary forms.

Well, we poured a 10' x 20' pad with rebar, and there was only the three of us and a rolling mixer. Hard work, but very doable. Must be 10 years now, and no cracks yet! So, I would think that a 10 x 10 pad could be done with two guys. The main issue is time, so if you can do it on a cloudy day with cool weather, it makes it much easier because the cement does not set up so fast.

/ Possibly stupid question about small concrete slab work #5  
Life would be much easier if you prepped the area, made the forms, set up the rebar if you felt that you need it and have the concrete delivered. Take your time and set your pace on the first place. Lots of things to consider here such as the locations of the slabs vs where the concrete truck is. Two guys can float/ screed a basic shed slab or whatever. In a matter of hours we poured, colored and stamped a 30 x 15 arched patio slab, a 10 x 12 shed, greenhouse w/ shed plus a porch and ramp. 14 yards of concrete, 3 people that were 1st timers and one that was experienced. Just do your homework as you get one chance. All that being said, when I wanted a smooth finish for a pole building shop floor, I paid the money and had it done.

/ Possibly stupid question about small concrete slab work #6  
I have poured various sizes by myself over the years and had lots more poured by guys that do it for a living. Paying to to have anything that you can get delivered in a truck is a no brainer, especially in the deep south where it is hot. It is hard work and ALWAYS takes more bags than you thing and you need help when you think you do not and it becomes very stressful when you find out you overestimated your capabilities. Paying for this work is very worth while.

/ Possibly stupid question about small concrete slab work #7  
For construction estimating it’s one finisher per 200sf....that just finishing. It takes 2 to rod the cement and One to mix and move the material. 3 would be a minimum if it all had to be done in one pour- nothing says it has to be two pours though.

Concrete is figured by the cubic yard- 27cu’ All you numbers have to be the same unit of measurement. So to figure the amount of material for say a 10’x10’ slab that is 4” thick it’s 10x10x.33=33cu’ or about 1.25 yards. 4” equals 1/3’ or .33’.

They say their are 3 things you should know about concrete- it gets hard, it cracks and no one will steal it. I’ll add one more- you only get one shot at it- so take your time prepping, have the resources the day of the pour and do small parts of the slab at a time until you have the experience.
Is it doable- YES! Sounds like a great dyi project!!

/ Possibly stupid question about small concrete slab work #8  
For a do it yourself scenario it's very doable if the physical Stamina is there. Concrete is hard work for beginners. ( for your sizes a good experienced person could do it by himself if concrete was delivered. He'd be able to handle the chute for even spreading and use a bull float for the initial levelling. No screeding. Then it's on to the finish troweling )

For your situation form up the area and then break it down into workable sections. Leave short stub rebar in the first interior form or groove them over the rebar. Use these same forms as you progress.

If using premixed bags add a little Portland cement in each mix. That will strengthen it.

/ Possibly stupid question about small concrete slab work #9  
For construction estimating it’s one finisher per 200sf....that just finishing. It takes 2 to rod the cement and One to mix and move the material. 3 would be a minimum if it all had to be done in one pour- nothing says it has to be two pours though.

Concrete is figured by the cubic yard- 27cu’ All you numbers have to be the same unit of measurement. So to figure the amount of material for say a 10’x10’ slab that is 4” thick it’s 10x10x.33=33cu’ or about 1.25 yards. 4” equals 1/3’ or .33’.

They say their are 3 things you should know about concrete- it gets hard, it cracks and no one will steal it. I’ll add one more- you only get one shot at it- so take your time prepping, have the resources the day of the pour and do small parts of the slab at a time until you have the experience.
Is it doable- YES! Sounds like a great dyi project!!

It does not necessarily crack!
Depends on how many, and where, expansion joints are.

/ Possibly stupid question about small concrete slab work #10  
How old are you and how good are you at sticking with something that is very painful, until it's done?

12'x12' pad is very doable by yourself with a mixer and sacks of concrete, but it's going to be a long day. I've done it a few times by myself, and it's always a torture test. I'm now 52 and don't think I'll do it again. For me, the mixer is for smaller projects that you can stop working on when you get tired. I also avoid 80 pound sacks if possible. After just a few of them, they start getting heavier and heavier. 50 or 60 pound sacks cost the same per pound, are easier to handle, and don't wear you out as quickly. When I did my two stall horse barn, I poured a 12x12 pad for the tack and storage room by mixing two pallets of 60 pound sacks. That was a lot of weight for my 16 ft trailer.

Anybody can spread concrete. Very few can make it look nice. I cannot. If I want it to look pretty, I pay somebody to do it. I'm a contractor, I make a living building stuff. I know what I can and what I cannot do. If you are fine with imperfections, like I have in my tack room, then go for it. My next concrete project is going to be my back porch. I've set the forms, tied the rebar and now I'm waiting for the mud to go away. I will have a truck come and deliver it, and pay whatever it is that they want. I will spread it myself and not worry too much about finish, just as long as it's flat. Then some time next year, I will tile over it. I love tile, I'm very good at it, and when done, nobody will ever know that the concrete was not finished off very well.