ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT?

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #11  
You do have to be careful about the transmissions in these vehicles, both from a reliability and durability standpoint. Some of the belt transmissions are just not capable of hard work. One of the reasons that drove me towards the Kubota RTV (I have an X 1120-D model) was the HST transmission, and indeed it's been bulletproof. Everything about the RTV is a work machine, whereas a lot of the competitors are more setup for off-roading and higher speeds (i.e., fun). Think about what you want to do with the machine and then you'll probably narrow down your choices significantly. If you're just going to cruise around your property any of them will do fine. If you want to tow a trailer or haul heavy loads, choose more carefully.

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #12  
If you don't know what parts and labor costs on these UTVs, somehow do yourself a favor and do some investigation. New, might be a far cheaper option, actually. I have a Diesel Mule. I think fuel filters run around seventy bucks and I have not found a sub yet. My JD E-Gator (bought used) had around 4000 hours on it. A splined axle shaft broke, probably on account of the high torque. $1200.00 for a ten or so inch long splined shaft from Deere. Fortunately, I had a whole spare drive train.

That is just a little peak as to what awaits you.

And yes. I'm sure, the Diesel Engine is the last thing you have to worry about. Having said that, I broke a crank shaft in the Mule after around twelve years and a thousand hours. I believe, it had been spec'ed wrong, not being suitable for a belt driven drive train. The newer shaft was stronger, out of the turbo version. Anyway, I didn't put enough hours on the Mule, for this to come to light earlier. Kawasaki Did help me a little, although dismissed it totally initially. Still, cost me a few grand.

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #13  
My brother has a diesel Mule and a Kubota 900...

Back when he worked the Mule hard, he had to rebuild the clutch two different times and the rest of the tranny one time. It was almost as cheap for a new tranny so that's what he bought instead of rebuilding the old one.

The work he was doing, was hauling bed full loads of sand to make beaches for his neighbors, as he lives on a lake.

NOW, he has the Kubota 900 and of course for hard work, it's the better choice...

The ONLY belt drive I like is Yamaha's! It has a "separate" clutch, INSTEAD of using the "belt" for part of the clutch, like a sno-mobile clutch/tranny. Yamaha's system is MUCH better than the other belt drives and will hold up to being worked hard...

I have a Kubota 500 and it's been a good work horse and that's exactly what I use it for.

SR

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #14  
First ride I took my Dad through half foot snow with the almost new mule, you could smell the belt! Then switched to low range. More noise, less speed, no smell.

I cringe, when people want to push snow with a belt drive.

Oh, I forgot to mention. When the crankshaft broke, it was discovered there wasn't much left of the clutch. More $$$$$$

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #15  
+2000 hours on our 1996 RTV 900. Just has to sink some money to replace just about every bearing and U-Joint. 2 years ago we redid the rotting bed. Motor & Trans Etc very dependable. had a few electrical issues, but the thing is not anywhere close to be worn out, maybe 1/2 way there. Going to need third seat soon. We use it fairly hard.

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #16  
I bought a 2005 Bobcat 2200 used with 1400 hrs from a John Deere dealer. Belonged to two sisters who owned a farm. I paid 4000. I probably paid too much but I had been looking for one for a while. I wanted diesel but this was gas. Going into it, it needed a tuneup, new brakes, and a front cv axle (the boot was torn so dirt had gotten into it). dealer did the brakes and I found a new axle on Ebay for 115 bucks. Since buying I discovered that there was a crack in the gas tank so I replaced that. a bit over $300 just for the tank.The roof had a crack in it that couldn't be repaired so I took it off completely. eventually I will replace it but OEM parts for that are over 300. I also had to put in a new battery.
This thing had been rode hard and put up wet. I love it. It is a working beast. when building my bridge, I had 400 80 lb bags of concrete delivered 1/4 mile from the work site and I had my boys ferry it down to the work site in the Bobcat, 13 bags at a time. That's 1000 lbs of concrete and about 300 lbs of boy each time. It is 4wd...some kind of slip clutch on demand thing, but it will go anywhere...I have driven it just plain stupid some days, just for entertainment. The electric dump bed is fantastic. The aluminum frame is great. It's strong and doesn't rust. As for the gas engine, it's a Honda and I keep the oil checked and changed and it does fine. If I blow the engine, I can get a replacement for about 600.It's a little finicky since it has a choke and a carb. starts easy in summer and a bit less easy in the winter, but we seem to be getting to know it better and it doesn't seem as finicky anyone more. The newer models have a fuel pump. This model was made by Club Car so you can get parts from them most of the time. Later models are made by Polaris, I believe.

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT?
Thanks Woodchuck,
I hadn't considered the GAS version cause it is 4 MONTHS (late NOV till mid MAR) that I stay away from Va. Then I only get there about every 3 months for 12 days. (I would love to be there more but wife won't leave Fl and I'm too old to leave wife)
Anyway, enough of that....With STABIL and octane boost do you think I could keep a gas unit running? I hesitate cause it's hard enough to keep the chainsaw running (and I can run it empty)
And that's another issue....Some say run it dry.....others say use stabil and leave it wet....???
:confused:

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #18  
We bought an '08 Bobcat 3400 diesel (heavily based on a Polaris Ranger) with 1700 hours on it. We definitely wouldn't buy another Bobcat that's for sure. The engine is fine. Every single joint in the suspension was worn out. And parts for Bobcat junk is expensive and hard to find. This machine has the worst designed suspension bushings I have ever seen in a vehicle. They literally just had a thin steel spacer around the bolt and thin sleeve of plastic between the spacer and the tube of the control arm. No grease fittings and no seals. Every single control arm bolt on the chassis side had rusted together with the steel spacer and had to be cut out.

I would advise anyone looking to buy a UTV to investigate parts prices and availability before you buy. Also take a close look at how serviceable various components are. I would stick with a good Japanese brand like Honda or similar.

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #19  
The ONLY belt drive I like is Yamaha's! It has a "separate" clutch, INSTEAD of using the "belt" for part of the clutch, like a sno-mobile clutch/tranny. Yamaha's system is MUCH better than the other belt drives and will hold up to being worked hard...

SR

I have an 07 Rhino that is a work only tool for our property. I haul heavy wood, plow snow and move mulch/dirt/concrete fill with a 72" Warn plow, overload it to the max every time I use it (on very steep property) and use it to move cars and trucks.

In almost 11 years I have used the machine, the transmission and engine are still like the day I picked it up new. So far, 2 batteries and a CV boot is the list of repairs. I expect 10 more years (or more) from the thing. I would put it up against any UTV for reliability as a work tool, and I bet it would beat a bunch of the current offers. Find yourself an inexpensive cream-puff of a lightly used Rhino 660 and you found a life long buddy that you'll never want to see go. And it likely will not ever go. Bullet proof.

Last edited:
   / ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #20  
If you're looking at the RTV500, it is fuel injected so it is not as picky about fuel as the RTV400 or the other carbureted machines would be. We have been very happy with our RTV500.
On the transmission longevity, Messick's had a pair of RTV900s come through a couple years back which had a lot of hours on them either (6000 or 9000hrs), they still sold for good money and from what they said they still ran and drove well.

Aaron Z