ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT?

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #1  

Boeing

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3010
Guys, I'm thinking about getting a UTV. They're EXPENSIVE...and am thinking USED. I have a Kubota L-1010 3 cyl diesel and baby the heck out of it. Oil and filter every 100 hours, air filter cleanings and replacements...etc. AND, it only has 600 hours since year 2000.
Here's my problem; I've found several UTVs; a KUBOTA with STEEL frame and 1550 hours, a BOBCAT with ALUMINUM frame but 2550 hours another Bobcat, much cheaper, with 3500 hours....and so on. I know diesels last and last.....but where do you EXPECT problems? And about that steel vs. aluminum frame.....if it ran in snow and mud there could be serious RUST on the frame. The dealer is in KENTUCKY and it would be difficult to go see before buying....dumb? Please.....ADVICE needed. Thanks:confused:

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #2  
You can have something with 100hrs and beat to death and something with 1000 that looks new. Hrs are a small part of the evaluation to me. If you find something with 2000hrs from an owner like you I’d take that over a machine with 1000 that has never had any maintenance done to it. As for the rust, I’m not familiar with that aspect of it nor the inspection process. Worst case offer to pay for kubota or bobcat to check the machine out.

Brett

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #3  
I'll bet you that with higher hour machines, something "other" than the diesel will be the problem...

The engine is the longest lasting component in the chain.

SR

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #4  
I'll bet you that with higher hour machines, something "other" than the diesel will be the problem...

SR

Agreed. Same in vehicles.

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT?
An inspection from a "Dealer"....I like that, I'll see who's local. Thanks Rusty

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT?
Sawyer, that's a good point, my tractor is manual with a clutch. The Kubota said CVT or something drive...the Bobcat said BELT with CVS...??? This is all "greek" to me. The tranny and 4 wheel drive units would be my greatest fear.

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #7  
Sawyer, that's a good point, my tractor is manual with a clutch. The Kubota said CVT or something drive...the Bobcat said BELT with CVS...??? This is all "greek" to me. The tranny and 4 wheel drive units would be my greatest fear.

We have the kubota rtv. It’s a hydrostatic tranny much like the HST tractor. Very strong and reliable. No belts or sheaves to worry about.

Brett

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #8  
Strictly regarding the motor- Fire engine diesels are about the worst case-lots of cold starts and then run hard right out of the gate. They typically equate 10,000 hrs to about the time at least the heads need to be pulled. The oil changes and other services are done on regular intervals.
You can tell a lot with an oil analysis and compression test. The physical inspection is key as well.

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #9  

I second SR's evaluation.

/ ATV/UTV Diesels.....How many hours is ALOT? #10  
Strictly regarding the motor- Fire engine diesels are about the worst case-lots of cold starts and then run hard right out of the gate. They typically equate 10,000 hrs to about the time at least the heads need to be pulled. The oil changes and other services are done on regular intervals.
You can tell a lot with an oil analysis and compression test. The physical inspection is key as well.

Exactly. Not many vehicles are driven harder. 10k hrs and it’s more than likely atleast had an inframe. Aggressive maintence schedules are every 6 months. More realisticially it’s annual

Brett