Aluminum D Rings ?

/ Aluminum D Rings ? #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
I'm getting a new dump truck this week and decided to go with a aluminum dump body.. primarily to eliminate the rust problems we have in the North East and also to save weight capacity. I'm going to have a salt sander I. The bed during the winter months and needs to strap it down. In the past, I have had d rings welded inside the steel dump body's and it was fine. Not sure if aluminum is strong enough to do such a thing. I'm guessing the pulling pressure on each ring with ratchet straps may be 1000 pounds +\-.. but again that's just a guess. Anyone done this before with aluminum ?

/ Aluminum D Rings ? #3  
What is used to anchor heavy vehicles in aluminum cargo planes?

Bruce

/ Aluminum D Rings ? #4  
What is used to anchor heavy vehicles in aluminum cargo planes?

Bruce

Cargo airplanes usually use a deck mounted track system, with many lock points, not "D" rings.

/ Aluminum D Rings ?
That's what I figured. Kind of like a E track type set up but much stronger. I googled and looked at some pics. I noticed some people have welded on a 1/4" p,ate on top of the existing surface and then bolted D Rings through 1/2" of aluminum.

/ Aluminum D Rings ? #6  
I think aluminum d rings would be plenty strong enough. I’m assuming you’ll have them welded in? They are used on aluminum trailers all the time and I haven’t heard anything negative

Brett