tinhorn chocks

/ tinhorn chocks #1  

kzehr75

Tractor
dont own
ive got to haul seven 20ft tinhorns and 1 10ft tinhorn on a flatbed trailer with a wood deck. what would be some options for chocking them on the trailer? i thought about cutting some 4x4 blocks with a 45degree on one end and then screwing them to the trailer up tight against the tinhorns. thanks

/ tinhorn chocks #2  
For the benefit of others like me who aren't familiar with the term, I learned (via Google) that a "tinhorn" is corrugated steel culvert pipe.:)

Is it just that I have led a sheltered life, or is "tinhorn" a regional term for that type of culvert?

Steve

/ tinhorn chocks #3  
Not a trucker, but if the[re small diameter I'd band them then strap them down. If they'll fit on flat side-by-side without stacking I'd chock the outside ones like you said and strap them down with cribbage on top so the ones in the middle don't bounce up and loosen the load.

/ tinhorn chocks #5  
Ok, in your part of the world "tinhorn" is a corrugated metal pipe?:laughing: :thumbsup:
If my guess is right, do you have stake pockets on the trailer? Cutting a few stakes imho would be a little easier than cutting & securing chocks. Either way, your right in that you need to contain them L/R for the 2nd layer. Depending on the diameter, you need to configure the load so that each pipe get's a little bit of the strap contacting it. Some long items I have blocked up at each end, and the middle strap/chain gets enough tension to bend the load just a little down towards the trailer. This really locks them in but with round items they'll want to spread without chocks or stake's.
I'm waiting to see if you are in fact talking about pipe:drink: (to see if my above "story" makes any sense!)

edit: I got lucky with that guess. chim said it well with way less blabbering:D

/ tinhorn chocks #6  
When I've hauled round items I've done what you described. If I have 4x4s I'll cut up those to make chocks. If I only have 2x4s or 2x6s I'll nail them together so they're tall enough to prevent the load from rolling AND I bolt (or screw) them to the deck AND use straps.

/ tinhorn chocks #7  
You don't say what you have to work with.
I would put chains all the way around them front and rear then chain or HEAVY strap them down to the trailer.

/ tinhorn chocks #8  
Does not hurt to strap down a layer then put another layer with one or two less tin horn on the trailor and strap it down and keep repeating till you have them all loaded. Takes a few extra straps but the process sure holds them in and down. Laying a 4 x 4 on top of each layer is not a bad idea if you have them available. Stakes in pockets on the edges are a idea also if you can for a fail safe back up idea.

Hard to explain but run each strap hook from the bottom of your tie own point then hook them at the top of the tie down point. The thing your trying to do is make sure that even if / when the load shifts and you get some slack in the straps they will STILL STAY HOOKED even with the slack in the strap.

/ tinhorn chocks #9  
tin·horn

noun North American informal

a contemptible person, especially one pretending to have money, influence, or ability.

:)

Bruce

/ tinhorn chocks #10  
Now that we have that solved........ to me, a tin-horn is someone still in the apprenticeship program.