Old truck windows getting too stiff......

/ Old truck windows getting too stiff...... #1  

Boeing

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3010
Guys, I'm trying to restore a '75 Blazer....quit laughing...The drive line is all new, the doors, quarter panels, hood tailgate new....and way too many $$$ spent. Anyway, the door glass (both sides) were always stiff, now they're so hard that it takes two hands and I'm afraid I'll break the winder handle. I reused the old winders and channels when I replaced the doors. Would anyone have suggestions about this? Is there a means to lube anything? LMC carries both window gear systems AND channels. It will be a pain but this is almost unusable. Thanks

Attachments

• Blazer Top 7-16.jpg
    Blazer Top 7-16.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 188
  • She needs a Top.jpg
    She needs a Top.jpg
    742 KB · Views: 171
   / Old truck windows getting too stiff...... #2  
If the channels are in good shape you can put a little dielectric or silicone grease in the channel to help the glass slide

/ Old truck windows getting too stiff...... #3  
Yep I’d use spray silicone- let it run all the way down the track inside the door panel.
I have to do this on my truck every 6-12 months.

/ Old truck windows getting too stiff...... #4  
As mentioned, Silicone spray in the tracks. Sounds like the window tracks may need adjusting and some silicone spray in the regulator mechanism. May need to remove the inner door panels for access and get some spray in the tracks that raise and lower the window.
I had the same problem on one of my classic cars (60 years old and factory lube was all dried up). Once I removed the door panels and lubed up the regulator and tracks they work like new.

/ Old truck windows getting too stiff...... #5  
Depending on how the vehicle has been stored, the tracks may need a little cleaning first.

/ Old truck windows getting too stiff...... #6  
I purchased a 1973 GMC Jimmy new;same as the big Blazer.Full time 4wd,350 H.P. and 11 mpg and rusted after two years.Replaced about all the sheet metal but the hood;kept it about ten years and 93,000 miles.Don't miss it at all.

/ Old truck windows getting too stiff...... #7  
Silicone spray in the CLEAN tracks. Done that before and it works. You may have to repeat three of four times over the space of a few days until the coating becomes sufficient.

/ Old truck windows getting too stiff...... #8  
The grease lasts better than the spray, that's why I mentioned it.

You can buy it in tubes about the size of a tube of gasket sealer and you will have a lifetime supply.

Alot of times it is called dielectric grease or brake caliper grease.

The spray works good but doesn't hang around long.

Your paint looks good in the pictures. I always liked the k5 bumper that was contoured with back of the truck. Looked good on the pickups too. Didn't protect alot.

/ Old truck windows getting too stiff...... #9  
Window regulators have a life span and these may have exceeded it! Pivot points wear, the teeth on the sector get worn, rollers get loose, etc. At some point no amount of cleaning and greasing will make them work like new. At the very least, remove the regulators and clean the old, fossilized, dried up grease/dust crud out of everything and re-grease with white grease. Make sure everything is adjusted right, also.

Pop the door panel off and see what you have and go from there.

/ Old truck windows getting too stiff...... #10  
Window regulators have a life span and these may have exceeded it! Pivot points wear, the teeth on the sector get worn, rollers get loose, etc. At some point no amount of cleaning and greasing will make them work like new. At the very least, remove the regulators and clean the old, fossilized, dried up grease/dust crud out of everything and re-grease with white grease. Make sure everything is adjusted right, also.

Pop the door panel off and see what you have and go from there.
He nailed it