Need some help fixing my well.

/ Need some help fixing my well. #1  

City Farmer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 4400 & 4500TLB Case 830 Case 350 dozer
Hi All.
I’m in a bad spot right now. We bought a new house and the well is acting up. I have fine black dirt entering the water. The fines are settling in the pressure tank and when I turn the water on, it comes out black for 5-8 seconds and clears up.

The local well driller has bumped his head. He could be the best well driller in the state but I’m not paying anyone $7500 to drill a 6” hole, 37’ deep, five feet away from the other well and walk away.

The well log says the current well was drilled in 1971, is 37’ deep and has a 6 casing. I’ve run the pump wide open and it will fill a 5gal. bucket in 25seconds. I let the pump run for 6 hrs straight and never ran out of water. It clears up for a day but the problem keeps coming back.

I’ve never dealt with well water before this house. I was thinking about blowing the out the well and relining the 6 pipe with 4-5” pvc. Is that an option? Do I have to do anything with the well point at the bottom of the 6 pipe?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Andy.

/ Need some help fixing my well. #2  
Hi All.
I’m in a bad spot right now. We bought a new house and the well is acting up. I have fine black dirt entering the water. The fines are settling in the pressure tank and when I turn the water on, it comes out black for 5-8 seconds and clears up.

The local well driller has bumped his head. He could be the best well driller in the state but I’m not paying anyone $7500 to drill a 6” hole, 37’ deep, five feet away from the other well and walk away.

The well log says the current well was drilled in 1971, is 37’ deep and has a 6 casing. I’ve run the pump wide open and it will fill a 5gal. bucket in 25seconds. I let the pump run for 6 hrs straight and never ran out of water. It clears up for a day but the problem keeps coming back.

I’ve never dealt with well water before this house. I was thinking about blowing the out the well and relining the 6 pipe with 4-5” pvc. Is that an option? Do I have to do anything with the well point at the bottom of the 6 pipe?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Andy.

It would seem that your 6" well screen may have failed.
Since you have good flow, the cheap fix would be to drop a 4" pipe inside the six inch, and use a fine mesh well screen on the bottom of that 4" pipe.
Should be no need to blow out the 6".

/ Need some help fixing my well. #3  
I have never heard of that shallow of a well. The moist shallow well I have ever hear of is 100 feet with 50 feet of casing at least.
Any screen you put in the hole will just plug up, then what?

You could put screens and whole house filters in the house and that should take care of it. Personally I would not have a well without a couple big filters in series for the crap that may get sucked in. Even though the water looks pure, it more than likely is not.

I had three houses with 100-225 feet wells with 50'+ casings and the water seems clear until I check the filters after 6 months.. You can buy a lot of filters instead of hiring the wishful thinking plumber who wants $7500. He is just trying to rip you.

/ Need some help fixing my well. #4  
Do you think drawing 4320 gallons from a 37' well opened bigger veins that bring more fines into your well?

Hopefully others chime in with a solution. I thought maybe that raising the well point would get it away from fines in the well, but am confused as what type of system you have. Can't a well point only be about 25 feet deep (32' maximum)?

Or do you have a submersible or a deep well jet pump?

/ Need some help fixing my well. #5  
I have a shallow well (24') and a deep well (150') for the shallow well you should be able to just pull the pipe and replace the foot valve.

/ Need some help fixing my well. #6  
Well was drilled in 1971 and is 37 feet deep. Is it still 37 feet deep? Have you measured it with a weighted tape?

Wells can silt in with fines if the screen and filter pack weren't designed right or if it's an open bottom casing. This increases the entrance velocity of the water to the well bore and with increased velocity come increased fines.

a few options -
Have your pump guy come in and bail the fines out of the well to restore it to it to it's former depth, or

Have your pump guy raise the pump intake a few feet to increase the distance from the accumulated sediment.

If you suspect the screen is compromised, have your pump guy run a camera down the well to inspect it.

/ Need some help fixing my well.
Thanks for the input guys.
I called the health department because I thought it was awfully shallow myself. They said a well has to be a minimum of 25’ deep to be legal. I’ve talked to 6 neighbors and everyone is 28’-40’ deep around here.
I guess these well drillers are in high demand.....one guy said he doesn’t work my area and 2 are booked until the spring. I’ll try pulling the pump and measure the depth today. Letting it run for a while clears it up but after a couple days it goes dirty again.

I have a submersible pump inside the 6” pipe.

/ Need some help fixing my well. #8  
Have you thought about just installing a sand filter where it comes out of the ground? That's what I do and it needs replacing every year (actually, may be more :p :eek: )

/ Need some help fixing my well. #9  
Something I have seen done in the past depending on the size of your fines coming up. You could run the water from the pump then into a container such as another pressure tank or barrel and then have the water come out of the top of it and go to the pressure tank. This container would be used as a settling tank. Have a valve in the bottom to drain or flush it every so often. Might save on filters and such. Those with more well experience may have suggestions.

/ Need some help fixing my well. #10  
A big issue with pumping fines from a well continuously is pump wear. I once did a contract for the Navy on a deep well sand pumping problem. They had been replacing the pump every two years due to wear. They finally included a complete inspection by bore camera and analysis of the well and system. Consensus was that over time the pumping had brought fines from further out in the strata that were not revealed in the original drilling and install. The original screen was not fine enough to stop the new source of fines and had some holes worn in it from bouncing around small rocks. Fix: Bail out all the accumulated fines (6' since original, each pump replacement was raised up some) dump 3' of coarse gravel in the bottom, raise the suction intake 3', and install a larger and finer mesh filter. They required a 5 year warranty which finally expired with no call backs. It was a $20K project back in the 90s. It was a 6" pump at 180'. Casing was 10".

Ron