Sketchup 2018 It was bound to happen

/ Sketchup 2018 It was bound to happen #1  

brokenknee

Platinum Member
As I stated in an earlier post I am new to Sketchup. I was watching U-tube this morning and clicked on one about what was new in Sketchup 2018. The biggest change is the free version will no longer be available as a download. They have went to a web based program. Also with the web based program you are no longer able to use extensions. You still do have access to the component library.

2018 Pro is still a downloadable program.

That was the bad news. The good news is 2017 Sketchup will still be available for a download (for how long unknown) or how long it will be supported.

They have also added some features to the new version. You can now import cad files and export files in some other different formats. Not sure if one of the formats in for a cnc machine or not. There are other new features that seamed more geared towards users that use it for architectural drawings.

I am really new to the program so a lot of the features in the video were way above my level. I still struggle with some of the basics such as rotating an object (always seam to pick the wrong plane), but I am able to complete simple projects. The more I use it the faster I am able to complete a sketch. I do believe it is worth the time to learn if you do any type of projects that require drawings.

I do not have a link to the video I watched but if I am pretty sure if you just google whats new in Sketchup 2018 a number of hits.

/ Sketchup 2018 It was bound to happen #2  
I have an installer saved for 2016, so that's what I use. 2017 won't run on all my machines, and there is no point to mixing versions since they deliberately make the model files backwards incompatible.

/ Sketchup 2018 It was bound to happen
I have an installer saved for 2016, so that's what I use. 2017 won't run on all my machines, and there is no point to mixing versions since they deliberately make the model files backwards incompatible.

I was not aware the updates are not backwards compatible. Good to know. This is the first version I have used, just got a new computer less than a year ago so hopefully is will last a long time. My last laptop lasted around 7 years then the hinges completely broke making the machine unusable. Checked into the cost of having it repaired; not much less than a new computer.