Trees on Dam of pond. Ok?

/ Trees on Dam of pond. Ok? #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I have 3 ponds on my farm and the previous owner just let trees start to grow on them. The original pond has 50-80 ft trees on the dam which I believe leaks as it never fills back up to to overfill pipe. The other two ponds have 5-15ft trees on both sides of the dam. Should I remove them? I’ve been told this can cause leaks in the dam over time.

/ Trees on Dam of pond. Ok? #2  
Trees are not allowed on flood levies as the water can follow pots for path through barrier

/ Trees on Dam of pond. Ok? #3  
Check out any major earthen dam maintained by cities, state or Parks Services, they don't let trees take root or grow on them. My understanding is, water will follow the roots and make the dam leak.

Rams

/ Trees on Dam of pond. Ok?
Ok will start removing them this winter. Wee.... more work for me.... lol

/ Trees on Dam of pond. Ok? #5  
Organics prevent “good” compaction as well. You will need to keep an eye on things as the stumps decay as well

/ Trees on Dam of pond. Ok? #6  
You don't say where you are but if you have any chance of high winds, it can take down a tree with roots and a sizable amount of soil with it. The chances increase exponentially if the soil is wet.

/ Trees on Dam of pond. Ok? #7  
No trees allowed on dams. The type of tree does make a difference as to how quickly a dam is destroyed - lateral roots vs tap roots. As the roots grow they seek a water source and provide a path along the root for water seepage. Once the tree (or root) dies it now makes a tunnel for the water to flow thru. Your 50-80 foot trees may be to late to save the dam.

/ Trees on Dam of pond. Ok? #8  
They just spent huge money in Ohio cutting trees from dam banks.

/ Trees on Dam of pond. Ok? #9  
Interesting. So if you had maples growing on the downward slope into a pond and had a thirty or forty foot dam, is this an issue?

And curious. Would you have to remove the stumps and roots, not just cut off the trees?

/ Trees on Dam of pond. Ok? #10  
What they said when they cut the trees here was that when the stump/roots rotted out there could be a void and that would be a weakened area. I do not know when they ground out the stumps how they filled in that area or compacted it?