Sensing water level in cistern

/ Sensing water level in cistern #21  
If you install a riser, take a piece of smaller PVC pipe a bit shorter than the riser and cap both ends. If you drop that into the riser it will try to float at the water level. You can use that as a float to trip any mechanical limit switch.

/ Sensing water level in cistern #22  
I use these on my cystern tanks: Liquid Level Tank Gauge for ASTs-Direct Reading Gauge-Type D Typically i call Krueger and have them build a model number for my needs and then call JME sales to order the gauge. I think I have done this three times now and have always been happy with the results.

And yes; stainless components and potable floats are available options.

/ Sensing water level in cistern #24  
It will probably take a bit of tinkering to get the float and switch working just the way you want. I suggest that you hook up a garden hose to your riser pipe to get all of the adjustments figured out before you install it. That way you can control the level in the riser while you adjust things.

/ Sensing water level in cistern #25  
The cistern is used for watering a garden. The pump is turned on manually via switch; if they fail to notice a low level in the tanks the sensor will cut the power. The pump is already in place (external to the tanks) so the added expense of an in-tank pump is to be avoided. I appreciate all the suggestions.
How about a sign on the switch:
CHECK WATER LEVEL BEFORE TURNING ON!!

And run a clear plastic tube/siphon out so they can see the water level.

/ Sensing water level in cistern
Freezing in a narrow tube is an issue so I will probably put heated tape on the riser. The sight tube is a good idea but a little messy to prevent freezing.

/ Sensing water level in cistern #27  
Re: water in cistern

Guys, I am following this with interest. I have 300 gal water tanks just slightly above grade of my building. It connects by "hose" to faucett then plumbed to a 12V impeller type pump. It provides remarkable flow and pressure for my shower and sink and even cuts off when pressure is up. (must be some kind of internal pressure switch) When I shower it runs almost all the time, when I use sink it cycles every 4 seconds or so.
A friend suggested a pressure tank but others say that this pump is made to cycle?????

What I'd LIKE to do is replace the 300 gallon tanks with an UNDERGROUND cistern....to prevent cold weather issues every fall. As you probably guessed from the 12V comment above, I have no electricity......SOLAR panels and batteries. I would need a submersible 12V pump that could lift 8' or so WITH some pressure switching to turn it on and off. Would this submersible pump provide all the pressure that I need?

Right now I TANKER this water in and would like to use my gutters/rain to fill the cistern....leaves and pine needle problems. Screen/filter of some sort?

I use this water to shower, brush teeth, wash dishes etc. I DO NOT drink it. BTW, I add a cup of clorox to my 300 gallon tank every filling.
IDEAS would be welcome........Thanks
:confused:

/ Sensing water level in cistern #29  

If you are brushing your teeth with it why not drink it?

I've wondered that myself......it does have a slight taste, especially if I've just added clorox. And I tell myself that if I spit it out it can't hurt me....??? DUH:cool2:

Did you have any ideas to help with my thoughts? Thanks

/ Sensing water level in cistern

Right now I TANKER this water in and would like to use my gutters/rain to fill the cistern....leaves and pine needle problems. Screen/filter of some sort?

I use this water to shower, brush teeth, wash dishes etc. I DO NOT drink it. BTW, I add a cup of clorox to my 300 gallon tank every filling.

IDEAS would be welcome........Thanks
:confused:

My cistern is below grade, collects rain water via screened gutters and still gets fine sediment from decaying leaves and (worst of all) unavoidable bird droppings on the roof. There is no way I would put it in my mouth. The sediment has to be eventually cleaned out to avoid buildup. Annually, I will drop a dewatering pump tethered to a rope in the tank and suck up the muck - or most of it.

I pump it via a jet pump/foot valve to a pressure tank and just open the tap (purple) when needed. I have to automatically aerate the water daily to promote aerobic bacterial growth, otherwise I get the hydrogen sulfide smell from aerobic decomposition. The foot valve assembly is inside a perforated pipe covered with a sock to minimize sediment uptake and the water still has a brown color. I do get mosquitos in the tank even though the 6" overflow pipe is about 25' long. It took a long time to work out the solutions but it has been is very convenient and trouble-free for 5 to 6 years. My system does not make economical sense because it was expensive for water but it does make good environmental sense.

Last edited: