Outdoor Circuit Breaker Question

/ Outdoor Circuit Breaker Question #1  

jrdepew

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1920, JD LT180
I am planning on putting a subpanel in the garage at some point to run power to a yet-to-be-built shop out back. The current garage is attached and is where the current breaker box sits. My main breaker however is mounted outside near the panel in one of these:

Eaton 2-Amp Enclosed 2-Pole Outdoor Circuit Breaker-ECCVH2R - The Home Depot

My question is...could a second one of these 200A outdoor main breaker boxes be added next to the first, or is there a 2-main breaker version of this box available? If either of those is OK, it would make running power to the shop much easier, as the subpanel in the garage could be fed from the outdoor main breaker box, not from the garage box.

Clear as mud? :laughing:

Thanks,
Joe

/ Outdoor Circuit Breaker Question #2  
Is your transformer sized for 400 amps?
Is your feed wire rated for 400 amps?
I would expect that neither is, so no you can't, it would need to be quite the shop to need a 200 amp feed.
If your shop is going to need that much it will be time for a separate feed or going to a 400 amp service $$$$$$$$

/ Outdoor Circuit Breaker Question
Is that how it is calculated? I would likely run a 100A sub to the garage, but never get anywhere near using it all.

Ideally, I could put a 100A sub-panel with just the main for the shop in right next to the 200A main breaker box. Then bury conduit to the shop, and put my sub-panel in there.

On a related note...they way they wire houses now sure is interesting...everything gets its own breaker!

Garage door opener gets its own breaker
Doorbell transformer gets its own breaker

I get some of the other appliances getting their own breaker, but some of these seem a little out there...My 3bed 2.5bath house has 29 out of 30 breaker slots filled. To be fair, we do have electric range, HVAC, dryer, etc that eat up a lot of doubles.

/ Outdoor Circuit Breaker Question #5  
Put a 100 or 125 breaker in your existing box.
Then bury conduit to the shop, and put your sub-panel in there as you said.

/ Outdoor Circuit Breaker Question #6  
no you cannot just add a second one of those. each would be required to be fed from transformer with its own circuit. you could however change your existing 200 amp main breaker with this 200 amp panel with a feed thru 200 amp circuit and 8 space subpanel like this

786676445153.jpg

in this case its an eaton panel, about 110 bucks at lowes
with this setup you can feed the 200 thru to house and then run a 100 amp to shop/garage without upgrading service to 400 amps

The existing panel in the garage? Or the existing Main Breaker box near the meter?

Here is a block diagram of what I have in black, and what I would like to add in red. I would like to do what is on the left, as it will be a much simpler install. This would require another box to be added on the outside of the house near the meter. I believe that this would need to be fed from the 200A main breaker I have already, as the service is sized to that breaker.

On the right was my original plan, but it will require running the wire to the shop to be longer and more convoluted(through garage ceiling and wall, etc).

Electrical Block Diagram.png

Thanks,
Joe

no you cannot just add a second one of those. each would be required to be fed from transformer with its own circuit. you could however change your existing 200 amp main breaker with this 200 amp panel with a feed thru 200 amp circuit and 8 space subpanel like this

View attachment 532772

in this case its an eaton panel, about 110 bucks at lowes
with this setup you can feed the 200 thru to house and then run a 100 amp to shop/garage without upgrading service to 400 amps

Thanks! I was typing my last response as you responded...this makes sense and is what I figured. I was just wondering if there was an easier way for me.

-Joe

/ Outdoor Circuit Breaker Question #9  
Thanks! I was typing my last response as you responded...this makes sense and is what I figured. I was just wondering if there was an easier way for me.

-Joe
not as far as i can tell. ive been an electrical contractor for many years, and this is how i would do it. mine you it would only take me an hour to swap these out.

/ Outdoor Circuit Breaker Question #10  
The existing panel in the garage? Or the existing Main Breaker box near the meter?

Here is a block diagram of what I have in black, and what I would like to add in red. I would like to do what is on the left, as it will be a much simpler install. This would require another box to be added on the outside of the house near the meter. I believe that this would need to be fed from the 200A main breaker I have already, as the service is sized to that breaker.

On the right was my original plan, but it will require running the wire to the shop to be longer and more convoluted(through garage ceiling and wall, etc).

View attachment 532775

Thanks,
Joe

I’m a little confused by what you are trying to do. But if I’m seeing this right you have the 200a Eaton main breaker and that goes to the house and you also want power to the shop? I’m guessing the main breaker is somewhere in between the house and shop.
The easiest solution is to shut the 200a main breaker off, run wire to a little load center that has two breakers in it- one for the house and one for the shop. From there reattach power to the house on the new house breaker and then run your power to the shop via the second breaker. It will be a fairly straightforward fix/solution.

Btw- their is no breaker sizing restrictions with regards to the “down stream” panels. In other words your 200a main breaker can feed two breakers- say 200a to the house and 100a to the shop. No reason to oversized though- it just adds cost and difficulty.