Building design software

/ Building design software #1  

southerniltractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL, Simplicity Landlord, JD130
Howdy folks,

I've been struggling to design my "super-garage" which will support a wide variety of activities. While I can use a ruler and graph paper, I'm at a point where I 'd like to use some software to provide a 3d visualization of what I am creating. Can anyone recommend software for my purposes?

Thanks,
Mike

/ Building design software #2  
As far as I know, there is still a free version of Sketchup -- Sketchup Make (All Downloads | SketchUp). It's been several years since I used a freeware version of Sketchup, but it had capabilities far beyond my needs.

Steve

/ Building design software #3  
Unless you can commit days of time to learn the CAD software it will be money and time ahead to have someone crank out the 3D images you want. My wife (an Architect) gets emails all the time from folks who will make renderings for her.

Otherwise sketchup is probably the one you will find the most info online about. Other CAD software will have a demo of student version.

/ Building design software #4  
I like Sketchup Make as well. It's not building-specific, it's a general-purpose drawing program. I've used a few "easy" architect style programs and I pretty quickly reach their limitations.

What I like to do in Sketchup is simulate the construction. I'll make components for 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, sheet of drywall, sheet of plywood, etc. I'll grab a component, copy it, cut it to size, and put it in place, just as if I were building it. Problems with the design become very quickly readily apparent -- just like they do in real construction! When I'm done I have a plan that I can use to calculate materials and measure dimensions.

/ Building design software #6  
I use Chief Architect for my remodel jobs. I tried the free Sketchup years ago, but didn't care for it. I've been using Chief Architect for ten years and I guess I'm on my third of forth version of it. I find it to be simple to use, and worth the cost of buying it. My clients like how it prints out in my bids, so that's what really matters to me. I can give them multiple versions of a remodel with furniture, and other objects in there to show how much room there is to get around those things. I've found that to be the most important thing in designing a space. For a garage, I would start with a given size, then place what you want in there and see how much room you have left over. If you park a car in there, and you have a workbench, can you open the car doors? Can you walk around the car with all the doors closed? Once you add storage, and a work area, walking paths become very important.

/ Building design software #7  
I use Chief Architect for my remodel jobs.......... For a garage, I would start with a given size, then place what you want in there and see how much room you have left over. If you park a car in there, and you have a workbench, can you open the car doors? Can you walk around the car with all the doors closed? Once you add storage, and a work area, walking paths become very important.

I've used Chief Architect X4 Lite Version but it can be pricy + takes a bit of a learning curve. If you want to take a look go to their site and download a trail version. A garage is a pretty simple structure, I always create the outside perimeter walls then take it to my local Lumber Yard that has an Engineering Truss Fabrication Source, they can easily Design Trusses (like mine) that span 28' (front to back) also they would be able to show you a 3-D image of the roof design. If you're thinking about a floor above I'd suggest an Open Web Design + think about beefing-up a Snow Load if your area is prone to snow, don't forget a good garage door width and height.

/ Building design software #8  
I've used Chief Architect X4 Lite Version but it can be pricy + takes a bit of a learning curve. If you want to take a look go to their site and download a trail version. A garage is a pretty simple structure, I always create the outside perimeter walls then take it to my local Lumber Yard that has an Engineering Truss Fabrication Source, they can easily Design Trusses (like mine) that span 28' (front to back) also they would be able to show you a 3-D image of the roof design. If you're thinking about a floor above I'd suggest an Open Web Design + think about beefing-up a Snow Load if your area is prone to snow, don't forget a good garage door width and height.

Big fan of Chief also, as I used it for house and site design for my place, but it is spendy and has a pretty substantial learning curve. Full version is like $3k now, but they have lower power ones for under $1k. Seems overkill if you are talking a basic garage. There are other programs around that are more in the $100 or under range that might be sufficient for your needs, depending on how complex it is. Punch CAD was one of those i tried years ago that was Ok to a point. I just needed more power and $2k for Chief (at the time) was a lot better than $20k+ for an architect and allowed me immense flexibility and time to do what i wanted.

/ Building design software #9  
I am using AutoCad 2007. Started with AutoCad LT98, and another version in between. I am a mechanical engineer by education. Never drew for a living though. I haven't upgraded to newer version, because this suits me, and the cost to upgrade. I am laying out our future home, along with garage and workshop down the road. Architect/engineer friend is doing actual drawings for building permits. I have also drawn my furniture plans wih AutoCad. My kitchen cabinets will be drawn on it. I have laid out suspended ceiling grid.

I am not suggesting someone go by any program they can't afford. Try the free ones, get student versions(if not using them for business reason). Does local community college have any drafting courses? They might help with learning a software program and have the student versions included. How sophisticated do you need. Pencil and paper may be enough to put items on paper to scale. Use graph paper with 1/4" squares. one square equals a foot. Jon

/ Building design software
Thanks for all the great suggestions folks. I'm eyeballing the free programs first.

My requirements include auto repair area with vehicle lift, general repair bay with welder, storage for agricultural equipment, storage for truck and trailer, and room for a heatable wood-working shop. I'm discovering trying to make one building do many things is not easy at you'd think! I've had very experienced folks eyeball my drawings and offer good sound advice, and in each instance, I've made changes. Then trying to tie the building into the property and make it look nice is also an issue. This project is secondary to a current building I'm constructing, but I need to nail down the design so I can get started on excavation.

Thanks again!
Mike