Barn roof insulation

/ Barn roof insulation #1  

Barnbuilder

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat A300, Kubota F3680, JCB 212S sold
Need some of your thoughts. I built a barn for a customer almost 14 years ago and used that bubble wrap insulation under roof. Well its deteriorating and she is tired of looking at it.

barnfront3.jpg

insulation.jpg

I have a product that is better but my concern is stapling it to the bottom of the 2"x4" stripping. Won't we have an issue with condensation collecting at the stripping and rotting it? She's not interested in removing the metal and installing the insulation then putting the metal back down. Which, to me, is the proper way to do it. Aesthetically I don't think there is a lot of choices. She doesn't want spray foam and she doesn't want to cover it with a ceiling.

Thoughts

/ Barn roof insulation #2  
Removing the metal and installing the insulation then putting the metal back down. Which, to me, is the proper way to do it , Thats the only it will look right, Very nice looking barn

/ Barn roof insulation #3  
I wouldn't be interested in removing mine either or spending any money on it but sometimes removing and replacing is the only way to do it right.

Are the panels screwed down or nailed? I would agree that condensate would collect between the two pieces of insulation. The insulation we have now seems tougher than what that stuff looks like from here in my living room and should hold up a lot better.

It is a nice looking barn by the way. I would live in it except for the crappy insulation.

/ Barn roof insulation
Thanks guys. Metal is screwed. It has a full apt over the tackroom where the caretaker lives. This is what I use now. Not a good picture but its foil one side white on the other. The white has string in it like shipping tape. Insulation is fiberglass, about 3/8" thick.

20160130_121445.jpg

/ Barn roof insulation #5  
What is the purpose of the existing insulation ? What R value is in your new insulation ?
Is there any way you could cover it with styrofoam sheets, 1 or 2 inches thick, even if you had to cut them to fit ?

Thanks guys. Metal is screwed. It has a full apt over the tackroom where the caretaker lives. This is what I use now. Not a good picture but its foil one side white on the other. The white has string in it like shipping tape. Insulation is fiberglass, about 3/8" thick.

View attachment 536460

/ Barn roof insulation #6  
You'd get more R value out of it by stapling it under the perlins where it wouldn't be compressed ( also giving you an air space in between) and there's no reason for condensation.

/ Barn roof insulation #7  
You'd get more R value out of it by stapling it under the perlins where it wouldn't be compressed ( also giving you an air space in between) and there's no reason for condensation.

Agree. I have always thought the idea was to keep the warm air in the barn off of the metal to prevent condensation. Putting it under the purlins with the air space would do that.

/ Barn roof insulation #8  
anything under 1" for insulation is in my opinion, useless. A good option is to add soffit and ridge venting if needed then install insulated sheathing to the underside between the rafters and paint it.

/ Barn roof insulation
She's not going to go for isocyanate nailed underneath. She doesn't want metal on the ceiling or t&g pine. Even if you staple the insulation under the stripping or bottom of the rafters the condensation is going to pool.

/ Barn roof insulation #10  
I guess take the roof off insulate roof back on with ss screws:D