Rust on tools

/ Rust on tools #1  

twes36

Tractor
John Deere
I have noticed rust on tools that are in my box. Box is in my workshop and there is a fair amount of humidity where I live.

Any suggestions on what to put in the box to absorbe the moisture to a reasonable level? Any suggestions on how you prevent rust on your tools?

/ Rust on tools #2  
The only suggestion I can make is to throw in, to your toolbox, those ubiquitous silica moisture absorbing packs that are included in some pill bottles, tortilla packages, etc...

I tend to save them whenever I encounter them & use them for just such a purpose.

/ Rust on tools #3  
I've drill vent holes in my tool boxes and seems to work.

/ Rust on tools #4  
About once a year I spray a rag with WD40 and wipe down the tools in my box. I've never has a issue with rust yet.

/ Rust on tools #5  
About once a year I spray a rag with WD40 and wipe down the tools in my box. I've never has a issue with rust yet.

Better still spray the tools first and then lightly wipe off excess.

I also like WD40 to lightly lube my air tools.
and, PS---WD40 is great to clean the black remnants on a roofing nail gun, dissolves the tar leaving the nailer like new.

/ Rust on tools #6  
Are the OP's tools cold, then warm humid air comes in the shop and condenses on the cold tools? That will happen here on certain days in the spring. If we get a warm humid day, I keep the doors shut.

/ Rust on tools #7  
cheap tools rust quickly, good tools almost as fast. I find some tools I keep out of the main shop will get some surface rust now and then . I take them to my bench grinder that has a wire brush wheel and buffing wheel. The good ol USA tools I have had for decades get this treatment now and then. When done I wipe em down with some thing from oil to silicone or WD40 etc. It's nice to keep good old tools in good old shape. Hand saws and Radial arm saws are the worst to keep nice if you don't use them all the time. When you go to estate or farm sales it is pretty easy to tell who takes care of their stuff.....

/ Rust on tools #8  
Those little silica gel packs won't do much good in a toolbox in a garage. The toolbox isn't sealed, and the gel packs will just absorb moisture out of the air, not the toolbox too much.

Better to wipe them down with the WD40 once in a while. Same thing happens to my tools in my garage and back unseated corner of the basement.

/ Rust on tools #9  
Try a ;ight bulb in the bottom some where, 10 or 20 watts, probably create enough heat.

/ Rust on tools #10  
There are products made to absorb high humidity. Damp rid