Tractor
    Kubota BX23 TLB, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota Z724 & Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring

Default Porch Storage Area

Got a question for you guys...I have a 8'x50' non-climate controlled storage area under my concrete front porch (no roof, yet). Problem is, the steel decking likes to sweat. I have a dehumidifier running all year and I spray foamed the corrigated spaces against the block to prevent the chimney effect, which helped a ton.

Is there some type of insulation that can be put on the steel to calm the temp variances? I don't want to use standard foam board --I don't believe that stuff is supposed to be left exposed in a residential structure, or am I wrong?

Any suggestions beyond heating and cooling the space?

Any suggestions are more than I have. Thx
    BX23TLB with 54" MMM
    RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow
    Z724 ZTR
    Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring

Gold Member
    Tractor
    800 ford,MF65,Cub Lowboy,Farmall B,Ford 600

Default Re: Porch Storage Area

The sweat is caused by humid warm air hitting the cool metal. Warmer because of the earth's warming effect. I have the same problem inside inclosed metal buildings with dirt floor. Open front buildings don't sweat near as much but of course rain blow's in.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH Boomer 1025

Spray the steel decking with closed cell foam, then cover with what ever you want. Put a vapor barrier down on the floor. Heavy plastic sheeting would work. Then cover with plywood or OSB.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by boomer1025 View Post
    Spray the steel decking with closed cell foam, then cover with what ever you want. Put a vapor barrier down on the floor. Heavy plastic sheeting would work. Then cover with plywood or OSB.
    I could try that although putting panels up would be preferable for me...This room has a concrete floor with access via my game room. Completely enclosed except the entrance door. Electric, freezers etc live in there.
    BX23TLB with 54" MMM
    Z724 ZTR

Huber zip-r in r9 would probably be enough insulation and you can place the wood on the inside. I don't know if this product is technically rated for use in such an application. You would want to vent under the steel roof to the outside somehow though.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by slopecarver View Post
    Huber zip-r in r9 would probably be enough insulation and you can place the wood on the inside. I don't know if this product is technically rated for use in such an application. You would want to vent under the steel roof to the outside somehow though.
    Actually it's not a steel roof, it's the steel decking for the concrete porch above it
    BX23TLB with 54" MMM
    Z724 ZTR