How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically?

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
I need some fill dirt for my dedicated metal target pistol range. I'll get some of it by scavenging and sacrificing the berm from my 160 yard rifle range, but I'll need more.

I checked Craigslist; the one or two that I see in my area are "free - will load" or variants of - and I have no way to move large amounts of dirt. Other than CL, I'm not even sure where to look for fill dirt anyway.

Any ideas, it shouldn't be this hard, right?

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #2  
check with local foundation contractors, or excavation contractors, ask at the local industrial grade implement dealer or concrete plant for references of those businesses

I recently bought a 8yd load of rough top for about $80 delivered, about 12 mile one way trip for driver

Last edited:
   / How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #3  
Around here fill dirt cost about $10 a load and a haul bill is about $90.

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #4  
Yep, $100 per load here. Totally a geographical issue.

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #5  
Look for local contractors running down the road and start calling. Make sure you have a good road and don't expect them to want to drive through a non improved area.

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically?
Look for local contractors running down the road and start calling. Make sure you have a good road and don't expect them to want to drive through a non improved area.

I want it dumped in amongst my Poplar grove and it's supposed to rain the next couple days. :(

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #7  
It always surprises me how much dirt I can get from scraping the top of a small area. Taking off an inch of dirt on a 100ft by 100ft square area, will get you about 30 cubic yards.

Bruce

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #8  
When I needed to build what you need to build, I looked around on the place and dug out a few truck loads of creek rock and gravel with the tractor, and then I had this little hill I didn't really like in the field, so I cut the the top of it off, again with the tractor. I covered the creek rock with the fill dirt from the hill, and bought one or two loads of black dirt to cover everything to grow grass/weeds over everything to prevent erosion. It took a while, and I burned some diesel, but it didn't cost much. The black dirt was the major expense.

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #9  
Here, unless you are already part of the Contracting crew, you will pay about $5 per yard for fill dirt. A full train of fill dirt is about 40 yards, so you'll pay about $200. You're not paying for the dirt, you're paying for the transport in time.

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #10  
Check with your county road crew, sometimes they'll drop off a load for "free". It's your taxes at work.