Pond dock construction

/ Pond dock construction #22  
Another idea that I've had with a pond was to build the pier on posts and the deck on floats. Add a roof to the deck area and make it detachable, then with a small outboard motor, I could have a floating island. I'm leaning towards an electric motor with a solar cell to keep the battery charged. It's all just wild daydreaming, but it's also something that I think I would really enjoy.

/ Pond dock construction #23  
On the Willamette River south of Portland there are whole neighborhoods of floating houses made that way. As well as docks, boathouses, and so forth. They drive very long steel pilings into the river bottom and tether the homes inside. The river level goes up and down a lot, I think 20-30 feet.

/ Pond dock construction #24  
Another idea that I've had with a pond was to build the pier on posts and the deck on floats. Add a roof to the deck area and make it detachable, then with a small outboard motor, I could have a floating island. I'm leaning towards an electric motor with a solar cell to keep the battery charged. It's all just wild daydreaming, but it's also something that I think I would really enjoy.

They already have these , they are called pontoon boats. :)

All jokes aside , I have seen these used a bunch for docks and such, strip everything off the deck or even leave some of the benches.

/ Pond dock construction #25  
I did think about a pontoon boat, but it would require too much modification to be what I'm picturing in my head, and for what they cost, I'm thinking that I will be happier with dock floats.

/ Pond dock construction #26  
Yes they do tend to be a bit pricey plus I don’t think they look as good as a wooden dock. Here is one of my supports I put in for my small dock. IMG_0021.JPG

/ Pond dock construction #27  
If it is only 16’ why not cantilever it out over the water? I had an engineer design a cantilever snore mounted dock that would extend 30’ in the water. I didn’t end up building it I bought a floating aluminum one but it isn’t that complicated to build with a lot of concrete and some I beams.

/ Pond dock construction #28  
If it is only 16 why not cantilever it out over the water? I had an engineer design a cantilever snore mounted dock that would extend 30 in the water. I didn稚 end up building it I bought a floating aluminum one but it isn稚 that complicated to build with a lot of concrete and some I beams.
That's my plan at the recently purchased property. This 34' 7" long section will be anchored on the land end and extend 20' out over the water to a floating dock that will be removed in winter using the pontoon trailer.
507772d1493545477-todays-seat-time-20170429_135941-1-jpg