Carpenter advice.....historic rafter "tails"

/ Carpenter advice.....historic rafter "tails" #51  
If the house was located ... down a dirt road ... behind a hill, there are a lot of things that could be done whether best practice or not.
That's me, I'm still working to overcome a century of 'not best practice' patchwork at the farmhouse in my photos above. There's never been a building inspection.

Recently the neighboring orchard beyond me - with no house - was put up for sale. The realtor needed a street address so the building department issued him my address since they had no record of houses on this easement.

I challenged the uncooperative realtor, a white-shoes pushy type not from around here. I told him I have my grandmother's death certificate from 1956 showing this address. He replied 'tough luck, that number is mine now, it's listed in MLS. Can't change it'. And I need to share the cost to pave the lane, his listing was unsalable as is. (The neighbor at the end of the lane has no problem with it). No!

I said I would tell everyone who drove in here finding the address on my mailbox, that the listing was a scam to steal a bogus 'refundable deposit'. ... He got a new street number. :)

/ Carpenter advice.....historic rafter "tails" #54  
Did you spit tabacky on his white shoes? (I've always wanted to do that).

/ Carpenter advice.....historic rafter "tails" #55  
Did you spit tabacky on his white shoes? (I've always wanted to do that).
Should have. That realtor had moved here from New Orleans to make his fortune in California, no doubt to go back when he had made enough. No sense at all about local culture. He used the words 'seclusion' and 'ambiance' a lot in his listing but with pictures of my orchard next door, not the neglected one he had listed.

But he found one of his own. Buyer was a woman from NYC, retired from an investment house rich at age 35 (?). First thing she did was put a note in all neighbors mailboxes saying she had bought in the country for seclusion and privacy so don't anyone try to start a conversation with her. Unbelievable! I did talk to her, she was going to start with a high fence. I told her no need, never a security issue, never, since I first visited grandparents here in 1950. I persuaded her to fence only her frontage on the lane, not between our two slender deep parcels because with each at only 400 ft frontage they would look more like horse paddocks. Surprisingly, she agreed. Then a month later she phoned me, found some drainage from the next neighbor over that ran onto her parcel. She wanted that neighbor's name so her attorney could send them a 'cease & desist' letter. She said everything turns out better when you start with an attorney letter. Luckily I never had a problem with her. Then after building a supremely ugly block-style house she sold and went back to the east coast; told that next realtor she just 'couldn't get the hang' of integrating into California. Uh yeah.

Lots of soap opera around here.

/ Carpenter advice.....historic rafter "tails" #56  
"She said everything turns out better when you start with an attorney letter. "

If that's your attitude then it's probably true.

/ Carpenter advice.....historic rafter "tails" #58  
Carpenter advice.....historic rafter "tails"

Here’s a roof patch I did. I’m not sure how’d you go about removing the sheeting without removing the shingles at least around the edges. That would be much work than just doing the whole thing. IMG_0719.JPGIMG_0721.JPG