Small storage shed

/ Small storage shed #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Guys,

My wife and I are in the middle of researching a better to best type of materials and design for a small 8x10 or 10x12 storage shed for our local high school. We will be donating it to the soccer program and want to have it made to match school colors of red, black, and white. I like the concept of metal roof and sides but am worried about sweating etc from metal. Does anyone have experience on this and can help us decide? Building will be installed in NC and will hold soccer supplies etc. thank you.

/ Small storage shed #2  
A whirlybird roof ventilator (or two) would solve your sweating concerns.

/ Small storage shed #3  
We have two buildings with metal roofs, one with metal siding and a 12' x 16' building with vinyl siding. Both have insulation under the roof. We have never had a problem with sweating. The larger building also has insulation under the metal siding. I see that you are in NC, like we are. Our buildings were built by the Amish community in Hamptonville, about 20 miles northwest of Statesville. We live about 25 miles southeast of Charlotte. The Amish do great work for good prices. The Bishop, Mark Schlabach, (336) 468-4311, has a company, Vinyl Structures, that like the name specializes in small buildings that are built at his location and trailered to the destination. Mark's son Gabriel also works in the business. If you could reach an agreement with Vinyl Structures about the price, it would be a great option for you.

/ Small storage shed #5  
Sweating occurs from condensation that is formed on the underside of the metal. Open eaves and a ridge vent will take care of this most of the time, but on days when it's really bad, you either live with it, or you have to have a layer of plastic, or wood decking with felt paper on it to carry the moisture down and out at the eaves.

Take a really good look at how sheds are built in the parking lot at Home Depot and Lowes. They are stick framed, sheethed in T1-11 and shingle roofed. This is always going to the be the cheapest way to do it. T1-11 sucks, so for a little more money, Smart Siding is a nice upgrade. If you really want a metal roof, Home Depot has fair prices on a few different colors.

/ Small storage shed
Thanks guys this great info and sincerely appreciated.