Camp house Build

/ Camp house Build #21  
Looks nice. What was the reason for not using T&G for the subfloor?

Are you going to have plumbing in the building? Or did I just not see drain lines sticking out from the floor?

/ Camp house Build
Looks nice. What was the reason for not using T&G for the subfloor?

Are you going to have plumbing in the building? Or did I just not see drain lines sticking out from the floor?

BIL wants to clear coat the plywood floor as the final surface and T&G has an gap where they join. I was ready to block every joint (wasn't too excited about it) but we walked over and jumped on a plywood joint and didn't think the give was significant.

Since we can crawl underneath right now, we are going to put the plumbing drain lines in later. Hang them with strapping underneath the joists and go underground right at the building edge.

/ Camp house Build
Finished up the floor & walls.

/ Camp house Build
Most of the walls are complete. Going to work on it over a 3 day weekend in April and hopefully get the roof framed and sheathed.

20180330_181646.jpg

/ Camp house Build #25  
Brother in Laws and I are building a camp house. 20 x 40. No permits required but building it to last many years. Hoping to keep the material cost < $12K.

View attachment 539753

View attachment 539754

View attachment 539755

I am envious of the "no permit required" conditions you live in. In CA one cannot pass wind without a permit for building a fence. The only thing we can build permit free is a 10x12 garden shed and only then if we don't disturb any soil in the process - if we dig holes for piers or posts, we have to get a grading permit and if we do that between October and May, we have to hire an engineering study and submit a wet-weather plan for approval. Oh, that little shed can have no electricity or water to it or it becomes a permit-required structure. On top of that, if this is your second outbuilding, you must apply for a $2000 administrative permit on top of the building permit and grading permit and engineering cost and wet-weather plan.

/ Camp house Build
Only permit required where we are is for a septic tank, which I think makes sense.

/ Camp house Build #27  
2 x 4 ledger is nailed every two inches plus joists are toe nailed. It will be fine.

Without doing the math, I'm quite confident you will not get sufficient shear capacity out of the nails. More than one floor has catastrophically failed because these fasteners were disregarded. I attached some reference material for your use:

LedgerLOK Deck Ledger Structural Wood Screw – Deck Ledger Board Fastener
Deck Ledger Bolting by the Code - Fine Homebuilding
Ledger-Bolting Requirements in the 212 IRC | Professional Deck Builder | Codes and Standards, Framing, Anchors, Building Codes

Second thing is that your posts have created a soft story. To prevent racking you will need to add some diagonal braces to laterally stabilize the "table legs" you have.

/ Camp house Build
Without doing the math, I'm quite confident you will not get sufficient shear capacity out of the nails. More than one floor has catastrophically failed because these fasteners were disregarded. I attached some reference material for your use:

LedgerLOK Deck Ledger Structural Wood Screw – Deck Ledger Board Fastener
Deck Ledger Bolting by the Code - Fine Homebuilding
Ledger-Bolting Requirements in the 212 IRC | Professional Deck Builder | Codes and Standards, Framing, Anchors, Building Codes

Second thing is that your posts have created a soft story. To prevent racking you will need to add some diagonal braces to laterally stabilize the "table legs" you have.

According to the IRC, it appears to be correct to me.

Capture.JPG

/ Camp house Build #30  
Yes, but that section does not address the attachment of the ledger strips. The problem is not the use of the leger, but how it's being attached. Nails alone are not providing sufficient shear strength.

Deck Ledger Attachment Methods

Despite opinions to the contrary, the inspection requirements have come into existence to help prevent problems like this.