Adhesive for attaching rain diverter

/ Adhesive for attaching rain diverter #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
This is a bit different because I'm installing this one (actually a drywall corner bead for it's lower profile) vertically, if you will. See pics..

I used silicone and I have to say, this is the FIRST time silicone didn't hold something.

This setup failed twice due to wind.

So my question is, what weather proof adhesive will hold this?

Thanks!

2018-02-20 11.03.04.jpg

2018-02-20 11.02.44.jpg

/ Adhesive for attaching rain diverter
I guess I should mention why I've done this.

There had been some settling of the pier supporting the house on this corner due to water rolling off the roof where the bead is installed, which is only going to make the problem worse. This setup worked perfectly while it held.

Wether or not it caused the problem or will make it worse, it was washing out my raised bed garden on the corner.

/ Adhesive for attaching rain diverter #3  
Roofing tar, or something like Flex-Seal in the caulk type tube. I've used it on a number of occasions and it's sticky, I'm not surprised the silicone didn't hold, not really good on 'dusty' surfaces and a roof is dusty by nature of the material it's made from. If it were a steel roof and cleaned, I'd bet it would have stuck, especially if you used marine grade 3M 5200 product.

/ Adhesive for attaching rain diverter #4  
Roofing tar, or something like Flex-Seal in the caulk type tube. I've used it on a number of occasions and it's sticky, I'm not surprised the silicone didn't hold, not really good on 'dusty' surfaces and a roof is dusty by nature of the material it's made from. If it were a steel roof and cleaned, I'd bet it would have stuck, especially if you used marine grade 3M 5200 product.

I would expect that Marine 5200 would hold that on just fine!

/ Adhesive for attaching rain diverter #5  
Another vote for Roofing tar...

/ Adhesive for attaching rain diverter
I'll try the roofing tar since it's made to hold these 2 items together.

Correct? Like flashing?

I'm still shocked the silicone didn't hold. I've always joked you can glue spit to an oil slick with it.

The first fail was on the roof, it's getting old and I regularly see debris at the output of the gutters.

The 2nd fail was on a silicone to silicone adhesion.

/ Adhesive for attaching rain diverter #7  
It looks like the wind lifted the bottom shingle before the silicone gave out. With a better adhesive you might end up just trading one problem for another. I don't know what to suggest, except perhaps gluing down the shingle that the end is attached to and attaching the diverter more to the middle of a shingle. The diverter might also get less windage if the end is closer to the gutter.

/ Adhesive for attaching rain diverter #8  
Why not just install a cricket if you want a permanent solution.

/ Adhesive for attaching rain diverter #9  
PolyUrethane caulking.
Only bad deal is it is slow to cure, especially in cold weather. If you get it on your clothes wait several days before you put them in the washer. Especially in the dryer. It’s designed to stay flexible and sticky and it does
:)

Metal to wood roofing screws with washers, at least on the ends of the metal. Be sure caulk is between shingles and metal where screw penetrates.

Bottom end of the metal could be trimmed, folded over and inserted under a shingle to hide roofing nail use. Top trimmed and inserted under shingle. Still use caulking under all of it.

Please do not take this wrong but silicone is a horrible product for this application. Especially on a do over in same location. Silicone has poor adhesion over any area it has covered before since it does not adhere to itself well. Microscopic level problems on this 2nd time issue.

Tar products even worse

Once again no offense intended but next the roof is replaced make sure the roofer properly staggers the shingles. Every other shingle lap as in picture does not meet manufacture specs and can result in a variety of issues.

MasterSeal MasterSeal NP 1 elastomeric polyurethane sealant

Sealants & Adhesives | Sika Corporation U.S.

Titebond - Product

Cricket idea work well also

Last edited:
   / Adhesive for attaching rain diverter #10  
gorilla caulk works well or what redlands okie said...russ